Latest News
  • The Latest lottery News
  • 15-12-2017- Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again this week the lucky dip tacket - - -

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
lanzalad

No more visa runs after Aug 12

No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

No more visa runs
Mayuree Sukyingcharoenwong,Somchai Samart, The Nation

Immigration authorities will not let visa runners return after August 12

BANGKOK: -- FOREIGNERS WHO do regular visa runs in order to extend their stay in Thailand have less than a month before a crackdown by the authorities to enforce immigration laws more strictly.

From August 13, people will not be able to re-enter the country, regardless of their choice of transport.

The Immigration Bureau has already instructed officials to deny entry to foreigners doing visa runs as a measure to stop the exploitation of tourist visas and visa exemptions to live or work here.

Visa runs have been common among foreigners in Thailand recently, given that a simple search on the Net turns up several companies offering "visa trips" for expatriates staying or working here.

Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay. By exploiting 60-day tourist visas and 30-day visa exemptions, many foreigners can work illegally in language schools, or restaurants and other businesses. It is easier for some to get jobs this way, as some employers do not want to go through the complicated process of seeking work permits and like to avoid the expense if they can.

"I have done visa runs several times before, because my employers would not agree to seek a work permit until I passed their probation period. So, when you stop allowing visa runs, the lives of many foreigners in Thailand will be affected," a 46-year-old American said.

Meanwhile, the Immigration Bureau website says: "Leniency will be granted until August 12, but only for passengers arriving by air. Foreigners who come to Thailand must seek a proper visa in line with the purpose of their intended stay here."

Now, those on a visa run who are allowed back in will find an "O-I" (Out-In) mark next to their latest stamp marking entry. From August 13, nobody with an O-I sign on their passport will be allowed to re-enter Thailand if they cannot produce a proper visa.

The Immigration Bureau has instructed checkpoints on shared borders to stop visa runners from entering the Kingdom effective immediately.

Immigration Division 6 chief Pol Maj-General Tatchai Pitaneelabut, who oversees immigration affairs in the South, said visa runners come from several countries, including Vietnam, South Korea and Russia.

"They come here to work as tour guides, waiters, waitresses, etc," he said, pointing out that these visa-runners are often based in tourist centres such as Phuket and Songkhla.

However, he said the presence of the so-called "out-in" migrants in the South had been significantly reduced because immigration officials were already enforcing stricter laws.

Pol Lt-Colonel Weerawat Nilwat, an inspector at the Sungai Kolok border checkpoint in Narathiwat province, disclosed that immigration officials at his workplace had already barred more than 100 visa-runners from re-entering the Kingdom.

"We have to be strict because we have to uphold laws and properly control immigrants. Efficiency on this front will also reduce crime," he said.

Pol Colonel Thirachai Dedkhad, the superintendent at the Sa Kaew checkpoint, said officials under his supervision were not stopping visa runners from re-entering yet. "But we have been warning them to acquire a proper visa before they come to Thailand the next time."

He said immigration officials had also warned people departing that they must obtain a proper visa if they want to come back.

"We have made it clear that if they want to work in Thailand, they must seek a work permit and get the right type of visa," Thirachai said.

Source: http://www.nationmul...s-30238504.html

Had this confirmed to me last night by Kap Choeng Immigration for the Chong Chom Border Crossing.

Been a few reports on Addicts of lads working 4 on 4 off rotations being stopped and given warnings about getting a "proper" visa as they were abusing the 30 visa exempt scheme. As far as I know non had been denied entry, only warned.

I've not made that many trips myself this year but I'm considering getting the marriage visa just in case I end up with a new contract that allows me to do frequent visits.

5 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

Been a few reports on Addicts of lads working 4 on 4 off rotations being stopped and given warnings about getting a "proper" visa as they were abusing the 30 visa exempt scheme. As far as I know non had been denied entry, only warned.

I've not made that many trips myself this year but I'm considering getting the marriage visa just in case I end up with a new contract that allows me to do frequent visits.

Just the other day i was doing a visa run and on the way back to Pattaya i was smiling away to my self knowing i'll not be doing any more and i'll be glad not to be wondering what i'll be able to do next... to stay here...

My count down is rolling on and very soon i'll be on my way...

• Like 2

Have seen this posted on various media sites, it's an artical that is two years old though. 

However a few months ago I got a six month multi entry visa as my passport was always getting looked at very carefully and I was pulled to the side once. 

i did look at the Nation i just took it that Thai Visa was giving current info and the person that posted it commented on it today saying this is confirmed from yesterday.

My former plans to stay on longer trips were frustrated by the new regs, but now happy for short trips.

so whats to point of issuing multi entry tourists visa's if you cannot do a border run

1 hour ago, lanzalad said:

i did look at the Nation i just took it that Thai Visa was giving current info and the person that posted it commented on it today saying this is confirmed from yesterday.

Sunday?

I used to come in on visa waiver about 5 times a year from the UK. But sometimes I did short side trips from Thailand, so was entering about 8 to 10 times a year in total. Although I spend a lot of time in Thailand (I have a holiday home), I don't regard myself as living there as my main home is in the UK.

However, I got fed up with it taking a long time to get through Immigration whilst they looked for all my entry stamps and asked questions like whether I had a Thai wife. Then an IO told me to get a visa before I came next time, so I had to bite the bullet and get one (and retirement extension - not straightforward when you are in and out of the country frequently).

The official costs were £50 for a visa in the UK, and then 1,900 THB for the retirement extension plus (almost) 4,000 THB for multiple entry.

You might want to look at the date of the original article.

No more visa runs

Mayuree Sukyingcharoenwong,
Somchai Samart 
The Nation July 15, 2014 12:00 am

It is over 2 years old.

Yes every bit of media ran with it and like at says in the above it was Posted on Thai visa the same day as this thread and it was confirmed by immigration

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this