Jump to content
Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
pattayaman2001

Motorbikes

Recommended Posts

I used to hate them. But living out here I've developed a passion for motorbikes.

I currently have a pcx, Forza, CBR and a GSXR. Very different bikes in every way but I enjoy riding them from short journeys to the longer ones where I've took the scenic route to Baan Na and Baan chang. Ahem... and that was good!

What bike/s do you ride?

Are they a hobby or a means to an end?

What pleasure do you get out of motorbikes?

Currently I'm restoring a 2005 GSXR 1000. When I bought it, it looked like crap. And ran not much better. Spent a bit on it and it's looking and running a lot better now. 

After finding Thai mechanics (some of them) not very good I do most of the repairs or upgrades on it myself. Keeps me busy and occupied.

Looking to do further upgrades on this bike. New exhaust, K&N high flow filter etc in the near future.

Any advice, tips greatly appreciated. This thread is meant for bike chat. Cheers...

gsxr3.jpg

gsxr2.jpg

gsxr5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never hated bikes but just never got round to having one. Always said I would never have a bike in Thailand but that changed just over a year ago. It's where I stay so I thought why not. Had the Honda CRF250M for just over a year now, really enjoy going out on it and I find its a great big to ride. 

It's just a great feeling to jump on the bike and head out with no idea where you're going. 

Need a step up though, have looked at the African Twin which is a great looking bike and has a lot of good reports. However it's not yet available and has a three month waiting list. There is also the fact that there is no test bike available yet. Another thing for me is that it would sit a month at a time and not move. So price against usage it doesn't really at up. 

However the young boy in me wants a sports bike and the AT is far from a sports bike. 

I'll post again on Friday at about 12.30

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Murchie said:

Never hated bikes but just never got round to having one. Always said I would never have a bike in Thailand but that changed just over a year ago. It's where I stay so I thought why not. Had the Honda CRF250M for just over a year now, really enjoy going out on it and I find its a great big to ride. 

It's just a great feeling to jump on the bike and head out with no idea where you're going. 

Need a step up though, have looked at the African Twin which is a great looking bike and has a lot of good reports. However it's not yet available and has a three month waiting list. There is also the fact that there is no test bike available yet. Another thing for me is that it would sit a month at a time and not move. So price against usage it doesn't really at up. 

However the young boy in me wants a sports bike and the AT is far from a sports bike. 

I'll post again on Friday at about 12.30

 

yup, sports bikes are mega fun Murchie.

I had a fireblade way back in 2004 but in all honesty it felt like the guts had been booted out of it. Wasn't a good bike but it gave me a taste for them. But the roads were quieter back then. Recently, like you I hated the thought of riding a bike here but now I enjoy it immensely.

I bought the PCX from Pattaya Golf and yes, it's been a reliable bike. Still using it daily. After that I went to see two completely different bikes the CBR500R and a 2016 model Forza 300. Both great to drive with ABS brakes. I loved the pull and acceleration from the CBR and Ouy quickly (claimed) the Forza as it's got a huge shopping box on the back.

Don't really know why I bought the GSXR because it's just not practical for Pattaya roads. But I love it. I switch between the CBR and the GSXR on a daily basis. The CBR has a nice upright rider position and fantastic ABS brakes. The Gixxer (as fans call them) has neither of these. A lean over position and no ABS. I had a friend bring me track pads from the UK and that improved the braking I must admit.

I can't really compare the two as one is a very quick and comfortable 500cc machine. The other is a classic superbike. A bike that still holds the World record of 2.35 seconds 0-60mph. Apparently the K5/6 (2005-2006) models were the fastest Suzuki made at that time. These models weigh just 166kg and produce 178bhp. Huge power to weigh ratio. The newer gixxers from K7 weigh well over 200kg.

Me, I don't ride it like a maniac so I'll never know...Lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_motorcycles_by_acceleration

 

I guess I love the ride position on the CBR  the throttle response and the fantastic braking. The gixxer for the absolute power. I've never had that bike past 7000rpm in any gear around here. You run out of road quickly. Goodness knows what it feels like to take it to 13500rpm to the rev limiter through the gears! 

I have also made a modification on the Suzuki that removes the engine retardation in gears 1, 2, 3 and also the 299kph limiter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only have a PCX  here now,  had a Vulcan 900 amazing torque, Versys found engine clunky, Z800 amazing bike  , I moved them all on thinking abut the Africa Twin , I test drove a 750 Harley was terrible ,,, Would like the BMW1200 GS but at £22000 ,, would take a big bath when sold,  only £14000 in UK.

When  you get out of town  there is some  great biking, after I sold the first big one I said thats it ,,, then 2 bikes later :laugh:

Funny enough I am on my 3rd PCX, £ for £ a terrific little bike, I half fancy a Vespa to do up Mod style but the road holding and electrics are a concern, for round town the PCX cant be beaten IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Around 1975 I had a yammy 125 twin...Had quite a smash on it and busted up my face quite bad. Didn't bother me but it bothered my Mum alot!!

Living up in the village I have had a few cars/pickups but always preffered to ride a bike to market etc..Honda waves mainly......

 

Big bikes are like guns. Once you have been trained, stay away from the booze  and take care of them they are good but if you don't they are lethal weapons that can, and do, kill...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tiny Todger said:

Around 1975 I had a yammy 125 twin...Had quite a smash on it and busted up my face quite bad. Didn't bother me but it bothered my Mum alot!!

Living up in the village I have had a few cars/pickups but always preffered to ride a bike to market etc..Honda waves mainly......

 

Big bikes are like guns. Once you have been trained, stay away from the booze  and take care of them they are good but if you don't they are lethal weapons that can, and do, kill...

 

I passed my test on a Suzuki 125 Twin ram air, great little two stroke screamer.....That was 1975,  even when I never had bikes for a few years I was always interested in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Parky said:

I passed my test on a Suzuki 125 Twin ram air, great little two stroke screamer.....That was 1975,  even when I never had bikes for a few years I was always interested in them.

I now allow my 14 year old daughter to take the bike to school...Wat Dam to Arunatai so not far....but it scares the shit out of me to see her on it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only "bike" I ever had was this :

DSCN1644s.jpg

 

Now, my eldest son did a bit of racing in Thailand, 250 cc

_2339794673s.jpg

And yes, there are a few good points in it.....

_2364298066s.jpgDSCN1027.JPG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can certainly understand and emphasise wirh the OP but having lost my cousin in a motorbike accident he was 16 I was 7 nothing has changed in the intervening years to change my opinion that motorbikes are death traps.

To keep the correct perspective it is not usually the bikers fault but other road users. Unfortunately the bikers usually are thr one ti come off worse in any accident.

Would love to own a bike but the chance death or serious injury are too high. BTW my cousin wasn't at fault, a bus made an illegal u turn without signalling and wiped him out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, som nam na said:

Can certainly understand and emphasise wirh the OP but having lost my cousin in a motorbike accident he was 16 I was 7 nothing has changed in the intervening years to change my opinion that motorbikes are death traps.

To keep the correct perspective it is not usually the bikers fault but other road users. Unfortunately the bikers usually are thr one ti come off worse in any accident.

Would love to own a bike but the chance death or serious injury are too high. BTW my cousin wasn't at fault, a bus made an illegal u turn without signalling and wiped him out.

Yes they are dangerous , but so is life...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, som nam na said:

Can certainly understand and emphasise wirh the OP but having lost my cousin in a motorbike accident he was 16 I was 7 nothing has changed in the intervening years to change my opinion that motorbikes are death traps.

To keep the correct perspective it is not usually the bikers fault but other road users. Unfortunately the bikers usually are thr one ti come off worse in any accident.

Would love to own a bike but the chance death or serious injury are too high. BTW my cousin wasn't at fault, a bus made an illegal u turn without signalling and wiped him out.

Lorry drivers, bus drivers, pick up drivers, car drivers, bike riders, cyclists and pedestrians quite often interchange roles but one thing is for sure they all think they are better than anybody else disregarding whether they are walking, riding or driving....

 

The biggest sin for me is a bike rider that sits in your rear right blind spot when you are driving a car... slip streaming and getting close as possible for overtaking.... then blames the driver...think once, think twice, think fcuking idiot..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Tiny Todger said:

Lorry drivers, bus drivers, pick up drivers, car drivers, bike riders, cyclists and pedestrians quite often interchange roles but one thing is for sure they all think they are better than anybody else disregarding whether they are walking, riding or driving....

 

The biggest sin for me is a bike rider that sits in your rear right blind spot when you are driving a car... slip streaming and getting close as possible for overtaking.... then blames the driver...think once, think twice, think fcuking idiot..

Yep. A lot of bad driving on both sides can cause accidents. Especially here. What I see on a daily basis is scary.

I've been out riding with a group of bikers and that can be hair raising to say the least. Yes, their formations might work in a Country with road discipline but to go head on overtaking with cars and slip back in with a metre or two to spare is pretty nuts in my opinion. And having driven cars all my life to see a fast moving bike coming at you at 180kph+ is terrifying. 

Great bunch of guys though. Experienced at what they do. I try to be a bit more cautious even though I've got a very fast bike. Roads here are terrible. Just came down the end of Second road Jomtein there huge craters in the road at the bends. Any bike or car hits that tonight it's bye bye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Parky said:

Yes they are dangerous , but so is life...

Yes for sure. My uncle was killed years ago in the UK on a bike. I had a bad smash too. 14 hours in intensive care and rebuilt at Canniesburn hospital...Lol why I stayed off them so long.

But the thrill of incredible acceleration is amazing. Makes my heart pound. Just back from London pie I took a right at the lights onto Sukhumvit. The road was clear and I was testing my new modification I done on the bike. Seems like an instant or two glanced at the speedo was doing 230kph and the traffic lights coming on me too quickly. Sharp braking and a left turn at the lights down Watboon:)

What a buzz...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pattayaman2001 said:

Yes for sure. My uncle was killed years ago in the UK on a bike. I had a bad smash too. 14 hours in intensive care and rebuilt at Canniesburn hospital...Lol why I stayed off them so long.

But the thrill of incredible acceleration is amazing. Makes my heart pound. Just back from London pie I took a right at the lights onto Sukhumvit. The road was clear and I was testing my new modification I done on the bike. Seems like an instant or two glanced at the speedo was doing 230kph and the traffic lights coming on me too quickly. Sharp braking and a left turn at the lights down Watboon:)

What a buzz...

Yes they are great fun, I am more scared of not living ? 

Never have a bike , never buy here , god forbid you have any fun ..?

Stay in west put all your money under the bed then when you die it goes to someone else , you can rest easy knowing you never wasted any :laugh:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have a fino here, which more of a moped I guess.  rode larger, only up to 250cc bikes in the past but to be honest I am scared as to my reflexes and those of local drivers now.  If I did buy one it would be a harley, just a small one like a sportster, that cruises and doesnt whizz.

 

 I admire you tho, you obviously still have the rush from speed and acceleration that I had with cars a long whle  ago.  Back then I sold a 928 because I knew I would end up wrapping it around something,  still the nicest fast car I ever drove..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

which more of a moped I guess

Did anybody ever own a Puch moped..?? They seemed to go like stink around the country roads and handle well but maybe because I was too shit scared on my yammy 125 to keep up..!!!...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

puch maxi was a popular one in the UK around 71, but naff as it was pedal start....  not for me I was going to be a real man (never really panned out that way) so had a Honda SS 50 with the baffles removed to sound more manly and a kick start.  I rode that 120 miles to show my grandad. how sad is that

round the corner was a real biker who despaired of me as I tried to understand WTF drove this thing to 44MPH and we got it to about 50 with governors removed.

A woman taking her brats to school creamed me on a roundabout, I was in the right.  went across her bonnet and she nearly snuffed me.  took the insurance and "invested: it in a reliant Robin, which was quickly modified to have cortina SS dials, a radiomobile radio and headphones as the engine was so loud.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

puch was 2 stroke i think so smoked like a bitch if the mix was wrong.. top speed 39 so you musta not known u had gears 5555

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

puch maxi was a popular one in the UK around 71, but naff as it was pedal start....  not for me I was going to be a real man (never really panned out that way) so had a Honda SS 50 with the baffles removed to sound more manly and a kick start.  I rode that 120 miles to show my grandad. how sad is that

round the corner was a real biker who despaired of me as I tried to understand WTF drove this thing to 44MPH and we got it to about 50 with governors removed.

A woman taking her brats to school creamed me on a roundabout, I was in the right.  went across her bonnet and she nearly snuffed me.  took the insurance and "invested: it in a reliant Robin, which was quickly modified to have cortina SS dials, a radiomobile radio and headphones as the engine was so loud.

 

 

Mk 1 cortina was my first car ( the one with the "triangular"rear light cluster....but that has to be a different thread..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

puch was 2 stroke i think so smoked like a bitch if the mix was wrong.. top speed 39 so you musta not known u had gears 5555

God knows what these guys did to it but if we were off out around country lanes there was no way I could keep up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tiny Todger said:

God knows what these guys did to it but if we were off out around country lanes there was no way I could keep up...

Pal of mine had one , 3 gears hand change the rear brake you had to peddle backwards, FS1E was the moped, then the Fantics  funny looking  back we had great fun, from there the 250 Strokers RD 250 and GT250 over 100 mph,,,, Great fun, if bikes are in your blood they are...

A decent bike I always look at , Cars no interest ... really considering ordering the Africa Twin... great reviews, perfect for a Buckfast ride :laugh:

I like all bikes but not the racers, too cramped would love a Harley ... but at 25k ....  Love the Big Duke but 30K ...

 

The Africa twin  seems for free at 580k baht lol,, when put alongside the above !!!

Edited by Parky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Parky said:

Yes they are great fun, I am more scared of not living ? 

Never have a bike , never buy here , god forbid you have any fun ..?

Stay in west put all your money under the bed then when you die it goes to someone else , you can rest easy knowing you never wasted any :laugh:

 

 

yes mate. And watch Sky telly and save up for your funeral insurance...Lol and the Government takes your money when you snuff it!

Playing around Suk road earlier. Lots of Thai lads on their bikes practicing times. Nothing else in sight they aint harming nobody. Kids in my local Town will be out stabbing and robbing tonight...Lol

Couple of quick additions to the motorbike thread.

The TRE mod (Timing retard elimination) famous on gixxers, Kawasakis and CBR'S REALLY WORKS! It tricks the ECM into thinking it's in 5th gear all the time.

Suzuki retard the timing on all their 1000cc bikes in the first three gears, slowing them down!  This mod corrects the timing and REMOVES the speed limiter which is 299KPH on these bikes.

Anybody with as sports bike that has a GPS (gear position sensor) can do this mod. Cost me 90 Baht it's as simple as putting a 6.8K Ohm resistor (different resistor value depending on the make, cc and model) across the GPS (gear position sensor) signal and ground being read by the ECM.I used a SPDT switch so I can switch between restricted and unrestricted engine power. Put the switch under the passenger seat. The pull on the first three gears is incredible. Only negative side is you lose the gear indicator and the revs drop on idle. On a Suzuki anyhow.

Also thanks to the WWW found a great adjustment for the slipper clutch on the bike. The clutch started dragging and making a noise pulling away in 1st gear. Simple adjustment on the three slipper pins (one way out) corrected this. Five minute job.

Anybody with a sports bike on the forum probably could adjust their slipper clutch this way.  If you have clutch slipping, vibrating or dragging  then try adjusting the slipper pins first before spending loads... Link on request.

Sometimes home mechanics are the best!!!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Parky said:

Pal of mine had one , 3 gears hand change the rear brake you had to peddle backwards, FS1E was the moped, then the Fantics  funny looking  back we had great fun, from there the 250 Strokers RD 250 and GT250 over 100 mph,,,, Great fun, if bikes are in your blood they are...

A decent bike I always look at , Cars no interest ... really considering ordering the Africa Twin... great reviews, perfect for a Buckfast ride :laugh:

I like all bikes but not the racers, too cramped would love a Harley ... but at 25k ....  Love the Big Duke but 30K ...

 

The Africa twin  seems for free at 580k baht lol,, when put alongside the above !!!

883 sportster deluxe ( 2 seater) in 1989 was 7000 dollars.  but not in thailand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

883 sportster deluxe ( 2 seater) in 1989 was 7000 dollars.  but not in thailand

My old neighbour had the Fat Boy, the one made famous in the Arnie movie.

About 14k in UK they hold there price, 25K here just too much ... for a skint long termer parasite  like me, if I could find someones  kidney to sell ok, but harder to find donors these days :laugh:

If only I could  double my money at the track ,... 555555 Like the Donny from Frisco :laugh::laugh: The pink pound... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×