Latest News
  • The Latest News
  • The lottery
  • Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again the luckydip tickets wins....

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Evil Penevil

Mae Sri Ruen on Beach Road

1.jpg

Mae Sri Ruen (or maesriruen) is a chain of inexpensive Thai restaurants that began 50 years ago in Pattaya as a small place selling chicken noodle soup.  It now has 20 branches, with three in Pattaya and 17 in Bangkok.

2.jpg

The branch on Beach Road next to Central Festival has been open a few months.  I don't know if it is the replacement for the branch at Big C North that was closed due to the big renovation project or is an expansion unit in case the Big C North restaurant reopens.

4.jpg

The interior is bright and extremely clean, both very positive factors for me.  There is an outdoor seating as well as a large enclosed, air conditioned section.

4A.jpg

It's not a fancy place, but much more comfortable than hole-in-the-wall restaurants that serve similar food.  The times I've eaten there or just passed by, it seemed most of the customers were Thai, but also a fair number of foreigners.

5.jpg

The menu has expanded far beyond the signature chicken noodle soup.  In fact, Mae Sri Ruen could serve as a primer in basic Thai dishes.  Prices are very reasonable for the quality of food served.  You won't find expensive seafood dishes on the menu, but most of the Thai standards are there.

3.jpg

My friend began his meal with minced pork and tofu soup. He liked it and a big bowl was 90 baht.

10.jpg

11.jpg

He followed up with roast duck on a bed of vegetables. Again, he had no complaints and thought the portion was fair-sized for 160 baht. The total cost of his meal with a bottle of water (15 baht) was 265 baht.

12.jpg

I began with hoy tod, a savory pancake made with oysters or mussels and served on a bed of bed sprouts. I chose the oyster version and it came on an extremely hot sizzling plate. That's a mistake in my eyes (and mouth) as the moisture in the bean sprouts produced a lot of steam, which turned what should be a crispy a bit soggy. The taste, however, was excellent, with plenty of small oysters to give the right accent.  At 140 baht, it was reasonable.

8.jpg

9.jpg

My second dish was roast pork with rice at 60 baht. It was tasty iuf unremarkable.  With a watermelon shake, my meal cost 252 baht.

6.jpg

7.jpg

On another night, I had the chicken soup with rice noodles. It was very good and I understand why it became the restaurant's signature dish.  At 45 baht, it wasn't more expensive than street food.

13.jpg

13A.jpg  

Nice strips of tasty chicken.

13B.jpg

I next had pad thai with shrimp wrapped in a lace-like layer of egg.  It was delicious as well as visually appealing.

13C.jpg

13D.jpg

It had a surprisingly complex taste with the ingredients complementing each other and the herbs providing accent.

14.jpg

15.jpg

I'm sure for Thais it would have come in as mildly spicy, but for my farang palate, it was medium.

15A.jpg

17.jpg

16.jpg

At 185 baht, it was one of the more expensive items on the menu.

Bottom line: Mae Sri Ruen offers inexpensive Thai food in air-conditioned comfort. If you want to enjoy your meal in more appealing surroundings than Tin Cups and similar places, then it is a good choice.

Evil
:devil

One is located on Pattaya Klang near the intersection of 3rd Road and the other is in the Outlet Mall on Sukhumvit Road near the intersection of Theprassit Road.  They are on BB routes, but not convenient ones if you are in central Pattaya.

Evil

I have eaten in the one in the old Big C and the one in the Outlet Mall on Threpasit ... clean and tidy 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.