Latest News
  • The Latest News
  • The lottery
  • Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again the luckydip tickets wins....

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

The Tongue

Bangkok Food Disappointment

1 hour ago, bigstuy said:

while obviously not a great place to go alone i went to Tawandang German Brewery with the gf last trip and i have to say i was blown away with the quality of both the food and drink in the place, will definitely go again

I can't remember who recommended it to me but big thanks to you.

IMG_1843.JPG

F*ck me , looks like you are about to skull that in one ;)

• Like 2

Interesting as the food I have eaten in Bangkok has always been much better than Pattaya. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Interesting as the food I have eaten in Bangkok has always been much better than Pattaya. 

And I have had great food as well many times in Bangkok. It is just that these two establishments did not live up to expectations, another night, another chef maybe but I won't be back for food in either.  Possibly living off a reputation gained but not maintained.  Please note that the photos are genuine and for me neither really offered a good experience, in fact the Kiwi pub fish and chips was very poor and I would expect that to be no more than a kiddies portion, it certainly didn't come near what I expected.

20 hours ago, Cat Crumpet said:

F*ck me , looks like you are about to skull that in one ;)

i did try 555

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, colonelpickering said:

The Kiwi has gone rapidly downhill and Hanrahans is a shadow of its sister pub, The Royal Oak. 

No Idea on soi 22 is well worth a visit.

Normally stay on soi 22 so will give it a go in January.

8 hours ago, Al McReady said:

Normally stay on soi 22 so will give it a go in January.

Al you should have a host of new selections on the Soi come January. Marriott Marquis set to open next week and in addition to the 4 or 5 hotel operated food outlets word is there will be over 20 different independent operators opening outlets there in retail podium.

Look forward to having another beer when you are in hood. Who knows maybe this time I can last past 10 pm...ha ha.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

You know of any good midrange hotels around soi 22? The check inn regency park is OK but do you know any hidden gems?

There's a relatively new Best Western on Soi 20. You can often get a room there for less than 2000 Baht all in. 

I haven't found a way to cut through from 20 to 22 but it is almost directly opposite Queens Park Plaza.

1 hour ago, vpi78 said:

There's a relatively new Best Western on Soi 20. You can often get a room there for less than 2000 Baht all in. 

I haven't found a way to cut through from 20 to 22 but it is almost directly opposite Queens Park Plaza.

If you head away from the Sukhumvit on 22, go past Marriott and  take the first right. That will take you to soi 20! If you need to get to 18 than take a right on 20 and take first left which will lead you to Soi 18.

And as long as we are on BKG eats...if you take that route to Soi 18 take a right and about 50 meters up on the right side is where Taco N Salsa has relocated to. The new version is very good for that style of Mexican,...not great, but very good, and even more importantly the quality level is very consistent. Not good one time, crap the next!

SIG.png

Edited by STARGAZER

1 hour ago, Buckfast said:

You know of any good midrange hotels around soi 22? The check inn regency park is OK but do you know any hidden gems?

u looking for walking distance to Queen's Park Beer Gardens or is a short scooter or taxi ride where u don't have to go anywhere near Sukhumvit or Rama iV OK?

One place that is not well known but if it is quiet and quaint you like with tons of old time character, check this place out. Very close to the hullabaloo of 22, but so peaceful. Kind of place you would think Ernest Hemingway would stay at. Also as it is not corporate or chain they can be very very flexible with pricing if you go in and talk to them.

http://housebythepond.com
Edited by STARGAZER

2 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

If you head away from the Sukhumvit on 22, go past Marriott and at first stop sign take a right. That will take you to soi 20! If you need to get to 18 than take a right on 20 and take first left which will lead you to Soi 18.

And as long as we are on BKG eats...if you take that route to Soi 18 take a right and about 50 meters up on the right side is where Taco N Salsa has relocated to. The new version is very good for that style of Mexican,...not great, but very good, and even more importantly the quality level is very consistent. Not good one time, crap the next!

Thanks for that, I just wish the BW would cut a passage in its boundary wall so it connected to QPP, but then I imagine the wall is there to specifically keep QPP patrons from BW 555.

Do you know if the Mexican place off Soi 24 near the Davis and Beemer place is still open? I think the original owner cloned his place from up north, maybe Chiang Mai, El Diablo's or something like that.

2 minutes ago, vpi78 said:

Thanks for that, I just wish the BW would cut a passage in its boundary wall so it connected to QPP, but then I imagine the wall is there to specifically keep QPP patrons from BW 555.

Do you know if the Mexican place off Soi 24 near the Davis and Beemer place is still open? I think the original owner cloned his place from up north, maybe Chiang Mai, El Diablo's or something like that.

Yes Diablo still open. Just ate there a few days ago....Chiang Mai still open. Bangkok branch is the Chiang Mai owners son.

Just now, STARGAZER said:

Yes Diablo still open. Just ate there a few days ago....Chiang Mai still open. Bangkok branch is the Chiang Mai owners son.

Gracias

9 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

u looking for walking distance to Queen's Park Beer Gardens or is a short scooter or taxi ride where u don't have to go anywhere near Sukhumvit or Rama iV OK?

One place that is not well known but if it is quiet and quaint you like with tons of old time character, check this place out. Very close to the hullabaloo of 22, but so peaceful. Kind of place you would think Ernest Hemingway would stay at. Also as it is not corporate or chain they can be very very flexible with pricing if you go in and talk to them.

http://housebythepond.com

I like the sound of the House by the Pond.

Just saw this thread.

Bloody hell, have to say that the portion size here is a disgrace. Even if the quality had been good, its way too small.

The roast beef meal size probably just acceptable. But at 399 baht for the fish and chips I wouldn't have been happier at what I got, either.

IMG_8403.JPG

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MattyStevens said:

Just saw this thread.

Bloody hell, have to say that the portion size here is a disgrace. Even if the quality had been good, its way too small.

The roast beef meal size probably just acceptable. But at 399 baht for the fish and chips I wouldn't have been happier at what I got, either.

IMG_8403.JPG

No I wasn't happy and the photo is exactly as it was placed in front of me. Especially annoyed after VPI had told me about the Cuban sandwiches at Cactus in Cowboy, it was a big regret for me, I really wish I had passed the Kiwi pub by. Another time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MattyStevens said:

Just saw this thread.

IMG_8403.JPG

Yup, either that is the biggest lemon slice in the world or the fish is fish finger size.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.