Latest News
  • Forum Donations:-
  • 15-12-2017- G

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
thinkingallowed

Gulf Air

When I mentioned some time back that I'd booked a flight from London Heathrow to Bangkok with Gulf Air there was a chap or two interested.

They do some very cheap business class deals at times, I paid just over £1000, so I'm not expecting Qatar or Emirates standard but got to be OK for the money. 

I booked through an agent, can't remember which one but I'll have found the fare searching Kayak.co.UK and Skyscanner. This brought up a small problem for me as I couldn't select seats and I'm a window licker. When I want to select seats I usually use seatguru to get a bit of info but for some reason they don't show the correct seat plan for the Gulf Air flights I've booked but expertflyer.com do. A quick call to Gulf's London number and I've got a window seat on all sections. 

They were having terrible punctuality problems with GF152, the flight from Bahrain to Bangkok, but a slight change in the schedule seems to have cured this as it has been on time since. GF2 LHR-BAH isn't the most punctual flight but there's four hours ish in Bahrain so that shouldn't be a problem. 

So today was online check-in day. I tried this on a mobile using the link supplied by Gulf in the email saying online check-in was open. Basically a pretty painless experience but when you get to the end it all goes wrong. Firstly there's no option for a mobile boarding pass only print now or receive in an email. OK, I'll have the email but when you click that a pop up box appears that isn't quite on your screen so I'm stabbing at the edge of it and finally manage to hit something as the keyboard pops up. I guess I'm putting my email address in here and auto fill does that for me but I don't seem to get any further. Ah, me thinks, auto fill some times has an annoying habit of putting a space after it so more blind stabbing and delete the space and yes I can press send. Immediately the email arrives but the boarding pass is just the type you can print out and useless for a mobile. 

Tomorrow we'll see what the check-in experience is like for Falcon Gold passengers, especially those who's carry on bags are overweight and pushing it on size 'cos they've overdone it on the Cadbury's creme eggs.

Plus a look at the lounge where a very smelly Thinkingallowed, going straight from work, will be trying out the showers and having a few sherbets. 

• Like 3

Used them once in economy and they were shit, only airline I would not use again....

^

You might think I'm stupid but I assure I'm not and they aren't. 

Me on a dry airline? Well I might have been complicit in drinking a few flights dry. 

4 hours ago, thai spice said:

Aren't they  a "dry" airline ? No alcohol on.board ?

Not dry at all.

Saudi are though!

13 minutes ago, firth1974 said:

Not dry at all.

Saudi are though!

Ok,  noted !

Thanks

• Like 1

I can't drink on a plane it gives me the worst headaches imagineable. 

I can't drink on a plane it gives me the worst headaches imagineable. 

Same here.
No problems having a few beers before the flight but suffer if I drink on the plane.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Try turning your phone sideways, it might show you the boxes necessary to hit which are not visible in your normal viewing position.

You are also checked in on-line so not having the actual boarding pass isn't a major issue, at least you can avoid normal snaking lines to the desks.

1 hour ago, The Tongue said:

Try turning your phone sideways, it might show you the boxes necessary to hit which are not visible in your normal viewing position.

You are also checked in on-line so not having the actual boarding pass isn't a major issue, at least you can avoid normal snaking lines to the desks.

Mate I had it sideways, upside down, at 45 degrees, every way possible. It couldn't out fox me though. 

29 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

Mate I had it sideways, upside down, at 45 degrees, every way possible. It couldn't out fox me though. 

Then can only think screen size ratio. I have to resize my TV screen sometimes to see certain parts of websites when using it in Smart mode.

I had it at ratio 125% so certain areas not showing. 

Glad you are on your way.

Not Gulf Air but a quick pic of the Rail Air bus that runs from Reading railway station non stop to Heathrow airport. Faster than going into London and back out on the Heathrow Express and cheaper... 

DSC_0188.JPG

• Like 1

Just now, thinkingallowed said:

Not Gulf Air but a quick pic of the Rail Air bus that runs from Reading railway station non stop to Heathrow airport. Faster than going into London and back out on the Heathrow Express and cheaper... 

DSC_0188.JPG

Good man , keep the pictures coming .. I am sure high roller will pipe up saying 'He gets a limo ' 

Safe travels mate ,, love a roving report 

6 minutes ago, Parky said:

Good man , keep the pictures coming .. I am sure high roller will pipe up saying 'He gets a limo ' 

Safe travels mate ,, love a roving report 

Short of a bar this bus is as good a transport as you could get to Heathrow. Free WiFi and drops off at each terminal except 4 and guess where I'm going? 

As it happens I'm going to see if I can get a quick hair cut in the salon that is in arrivals Terminal 5 first. 

OK, the lounge. 

Pretty good with a nice selection of food. Just going to grab a G&T before looking for the showers. 

DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0195.JPG

DSC_0196.JPG

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0193.JPG

DSC_0192.JPG

DSC_0191.JPG

• Like 3

Fairly quiet in the lounge and the staff are awfully nice. Not sure if there are any first class seats on the flight but there are only thirty business class so this place was never going to be busy.

I'm not hungry but if I was there's a good selection of food for what is a breakfast time of day.

Got to say I'm happy with the lounge. 

Oh, I did grab a haircut at arrivals in Terminal 5 arrivals. Cost £20 and I'm amazed at the jolly good job the guy did in such a short time. Could have just had my neckline and bits tidied up for £12 but I know it's going to be hot when I arrive so went for being sheared. 

f**k, just spotted they have Glenmorangie which I'm a fan of. This could get messy. Trying to balance this out by having an espresso with it but comparing the sizes of them I think I'm pissing into the wind here...

1491984754241397977808.jpg

• Like 1

Damn it is boarding time and I've not had a shower. The shame of it, some poor Arab is going to go home today complaining about the white guy that had a whiff of cutting oil about him.

• Like 2

Obviously that is best lemonade as this is a dry flight. Clever bloody Arabs have done a good job of passing it off as a reasonable Champagne though. 

6 minutes ago, thinkingallowed said:

Right, got on the flight. 

149198624922079823683.jpg

Champagne Sir, I don't mind if I do.