Latest News
  • The Latest News
  • The lottery
  • Good news for all the lottery syndicate players - - - Yet again the luckydip tickets wins....

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Evil Penevil

Dave's Cantina on Soi Regional Land

Dave's Cantina opened eight months ago and has created quite a stir among Pattaya residents and visitors who enjoy Mexico-inspired food.  It is ranked on TripAdvisor in 21st place among 901 Pattaya restaurants, which is a significant accomplishment for such a new place.  I wrote this review in April, but have updated it.  Dave's is still the top choice in Pattaya for those who want U.S. style Mexican food.

15672567_1558439177505601_4434798572201046765_n.jpg

IMG_6183.jpg

I'll join the chorus of those singing praise for Dave's Cantina: it serves the best Mexican-style food currently available in any restaurant in Pattaya.

I said Mexican-style because it's difficult to pin an all-encompassing label on the items served at Dave's. The menu is a mix of modern Mexican, California Mexican and Tex Mex standards, sprinkled liberally with Dave's own ideas and recipes, then whipped to a peak by meticulous preparation. Dave knows contemporary Mexican cooking and has put a lot of thought into the Cantina's menu.  But it doesn't really matter how you categorize the food at Dave's; it's the taste that counts.  Dave's gets full marks on that score.

Dave's Cantina has only been open a couple of months and the menu is still relatively limited. That's a good idea, as it's much better to offer 10 great dishes than 20 mediocre ones.  So far he has tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, burritos and chimichangas on offer, plus two kinds of soup (chile con carne y frijoles and tortilla) and dessert (apple chimichanga with ice cream and deep-fried ice cream). Pico de gallo (aka salsa fresca) and freshly dried tortilla chips are on the menu as a starter, while red rice, refried beans and pinto beans are the sides

The tortilla soup is something of Dave's signature dish.  Tortilla soup in it's original version is a clear chicken broth flavored with epazote, a Mexican herb, and topped with strips of fried tortilla. The soup served at Dave's is much thicker and filling, with a spicy kick. It has plenty of flavor and not just heat.  It's better than a lot of the tortilla soup you find in North America.  If you're going to taste one dish on Dave's menu, tortilla soup would be it.

IMG_6187.jpg

A cup is great as a starter and a full bowl would be meal in itself.

IMG_6188.jpg

I followed up with two soft corn tortillas filled with shredded pork, pico de gallo and cilantro. 

IMG_6189.jpg

Again, there was plenty of flavor and just enough heat to keep it interesting.  For those who want more burn,  there are several types of chili sauce on the table.

IMG_6193.jpg

The sides were red (Mexican) rice

IMG_6192.jpg                                                                  

and refried beans 

IMG_6191.jpg

In and of themselves, they are pretty unassuming sides, available on combo plates in thousands of Mexican restaurants across the U.S.  They function in part to function as belly-fillers, in part to balance the spiciness of the main dishes. They tend to be very bland, but not at Dave's.  A lack of heat in the sides doesn't mean a lack of flavor and the rice and beans add real accents to the meal.

This goes back to Dave's passion for finding the right flavor profile. then using the best ingredients available and preparing them properly. That's what elevates his food above the majority of Mexican-style restaurants you find outside Mexico.

I rounded out my meal with a dessert that is as Mexican as an apple chimichanga.  A rich apple filling, heavy on the cinnamon, was wrapped in a flour tortilla and deep-fried.  It came with two scoops of ice cream.  It was delicious and the flour tortilla is a great "container" for a fruit pie filling.  The dessert is actually Dave's own invention and I say, "well done!"

IMG_6199.jpg

Total damage for the meal was about 500 baht, including a Coke Zero, which is a bargain for the quantity and quality of the food.  I also ordered two burritos- one beef, one pork- for takeaway so I wouldn't have to brave the Songkran water-tossing for lunch the following day.

post-19413-0-48574700-1486644360.jpg

I chose the 8" burritos for 150 baht because they warm up well in a microwave.  Very tasty and strong on flavor but light on heat, exactly as I like them.  

bur1.jpg

I didn't take pics of the day-after burritos and have lifted the two pics above from Dave's Cantina's Facebook page.

I like the decoration at Dave's, simplicity itself but colorful and attractive.  I didn't have occasion to sample the bar, but it looked well stocked.

IMG_6184.jpg

I'm very pleased there weren't any sombreros, guitars or Day-of-the-Dead masks on the walls.  The air conditioning works very well and there' are outdoor tables if that's your preference.

IMG_6196.jpg

IMG_6185.jpg

This pic is from the Facebook page of Dave's Cantina.

20934128_1829924713690378_7376149495691698495_o.jpg

Dave's Cantina punches above its weight when comes to the food and in just two months has gone to the top of the list of Mexican-style restaurants in Pattaya.  I just hope its location on Soi Regional Land won't prove too much of a hinder in attracting customers.  The restaurant s not hard to find, but a pain in the butt to get to if you don't have your own wheels.  Of course, it's just a short haul by moto from Tuk Com, but otherwise, customers face a long walk or taking a taxi to get to Dave's.

post-569-0-23138800-1483361650.jpg

Bottom line:  Dave's is an excellent choice for anyone who enjoys the type of Mexican food found in restaurants outside Mexico. It's hours are 1.00 p.m. to 9.30 p.m.

Evil
:devil

Some more pics from Dave's FB page, just to give you a better idea of the types of dishes that are served.

20819561_1829924827023700_3102819887220816021_o.jpg

20819530_1829924817023701_3424670798648738948_o.jpg

21199653_1843417632341086_8654690722570050440_o.jpg

21248179_1847098455306337_5019572401249807554_o.jpg

21743746_1858634224152760_7419647354203372522_o.jpg

thanks mate ,ive yet to get to it but i will .

as long as theres plenty of sour cream , guacamole and fresh spicy salsa , not the pico de gallo along with cheese ill be delighted .

A mate got me a take away Enchilada's from there a couple of times during my trip, have to say I thought it was pretty plain and average. I've had the same at Tigglebitties before and thought it was better.

Haven't tried the rest but it looks ok.

:)

Edited by davethailand

On 11/10/2017 at 11:22 PM, mulphy said:

thanks mate ,ive yet to get to it but i will .

as long as theres plenty of sour cream , guacamole and fresh spicy salsa , not the pico de gallo along with cheese ill be delighted .

You might be disappointed on the guacamole side.  I don't think Dave has it on the menu because of the problems in getting good avocados in Pattaya.

Evil

Moo-Yong.jpg

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.