Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
onelilley

Dental Crowns

A recent thread by bm The Tongue reminded me I hadn't got off my arse and made a report here about my dental crown work.

I hope someone finds the following useful, feel free to ask any questions.

My top front teeth were slowly falling into a worn out state as I was getting on in years, I have always taken care of my teeth but have never had what I would call "nice" teeth. I had to have a back tooth removed here in Australia last August and started asking my dentist on costs and procedures to fix my upper front teeth. The cost of dental work here in Australia is staggering, to the point of a complete joke, even with Private Health Insurance as I will explain further down. My dentist here in Australia explained that my best option was to do front veneers, at $1100 per tooth I was a bit hesitant to say the least. On my visit to Pattaya in January I decided to take up the advice of others and get prices on procedures in Pattaya with Dr Aree.

I had my work done by Dr Aree at the PIH Soi 4.

Appointments can be made with Dr Aree via email picpih@loxinfo.co.th or picpih@pih-inter.com, she will give you her personal email after your first visit. Since I was in town for a month I dropped into the PIH in January to make a booking for my first visit, and get advice on what work needed to be done. I was able to get an appointment with Dr Aree a few days after my initial visit.

As reported Dr Aree is a really lovely lady, sings whilst she is working and makes you feel totally at ease.

My first visit was just a check up, teeth clean and discussion on my options for veneers, fillings or crowns. I had an x-ray done which showed the condition of my teeth under the gum line and roots, from there Dr Aree can advise on what work can or cannot be done.

Dr Aree told me my dentist in Australia would be mad to try and do veneers on my teeth because of my bite, she said the veneers would not last and my dentist should have not recommended me to go with this procedure. She recommended I either have my teeth fixed with front fillings which is quite cheap compared to Australia or go with six crowns. I wanted a permanent fix so decided on the crowns.

I emailed Dr Aree before my next trip to Pattaya in April and set up an appointment to start the crown work. She advised me I would need a 4 hour booking firstly to prepare my teeth, make a temporary set of crowns and do impressions, followed up by a 2 hour booking to fit the new crowns. The first visit is where Dr Aree basically grinds back your teeth to make almost pegs for the new crowns to fit over. I was a bit nervous on how painful this would be and a 4 hour session in a dental chair didn't sound at all good. I certainly didn't need to worry, it was not painful at all, Dr Aree explained everything she was doing and the time actually seemed to fly along. I left my first visit with a set of temporary crowns which stayed on for 1 week whilst my new crowns were being made.

A week later on my next visit Dr Aree removed my temporary crowns and attached my new crowns. She explained that she has all her crowns made in Bangkok as the company who do them in Pattaya is slightly cheaper but isn't up to her standard. Having them made in Bangkok she fully guarantees them for 2 years. The fittitng was really easy, she didn't have to make any adjustments, basically just a matter of cementing them in.

I am certainly happy with Dr Aree's work, my new teeth have no sensitivity issues and I have a much better bite now.

The costs of my crown work are as follows.

Initial visit and x-ray 900 baht.

First crown work visit 30200 baht.

Second crown work visit 30200 baht.

The total of 61,300 baht worked out to be $1926 AUD on conversion via my Amex card. I was quoted $500 per tooth for fillings, $1100 per tooth for venners, and $1700 per tooth for crowns by my dentist here in Australia.

I am sure someone will post that I could have had my work done cheaper at another dentist or clinic, and I am sure that is true. I can only highly recommend Dr Aree and her quality of work.

Dr Aree did my 4 tooth crown 3 years ago and I am pleased with the result. She is good at her job and put me at ease during the visits as I hate dental work.

Only thing about her guarantee is that she won't include airfares with it. Not that I had any problems.

Dr Aree did my 4 tooth crown 3 years ago and I am pleased with the result. She is good at her job and put me at ease during the visits as I hate dental work.

Only thing about her guarantee is that she won't include airfares with it. Not that I had any problems.

Really good to hear you are still happy with your crowns 3 years on.

I did joke to Dr Aree about including an airfare if I have trouble.

Dental work is all about feeling comfortable with your dentist firstly and secondly cost. I believe that once you have found a good one it is difficult to change.

I believe PIH to be a good dentist, the work on my girlfriends teeth is testimony to that. I think that if you are living abroad then even the PIH and BPH are cheap compared to what is on offer back home, certainly works that way for Australia or UK.

As I live here I have been looking at alternatives and have found a local one near to my house that is very acceptable with a high level of professionalism and cost effectiveness. It is a private business so costs can be reduced as the hospital administrators don't need to be paid their share.

I am happy you have found your ideal dentist, I am sure you will see it as cost effective in the future to add it together with a holiday and still make great savings.

Good report, especially to those who may sometimes shy away from the very word 'Dentist"

Really good to hear you are still happy with your crowns 3 years on.

I did joke to Dr Aree about including an airfare if I have trouble.

Forgot to mention that when I turned up to get the crown fitted she wasn't happy with the finished product and wouldn't use it. She got them to make another. I told her that with my rough head it didn't matter but she wouldn't use it.

Edited by thegrogmonster

A recent thread by bm The Tongue reminded me I hadn't got off my arse and made a report here about my dental crown work.

I hope someone finds the following useful, feel free to ask any questions.

My top front teeth were slowly falling into a worn out state as I was getting on in years, I have always taken care of my teeth but have never had what I would call "nice" teeth. I had to have a back tooth removed here in Australia last August and started asking my dentist on costs and procedures to fix my upper front teeth. The cost of dental work here in Australia is staggering, to the point of a complete joke, even with Private Health Insurance as I will explain further down. My dentist here in Australia explained that my best option was to do front veneers, at $1100 per tooth I was a bit hesitant to say the least. On my visit to Pattaya in January I decided to take up the advice of others and get prices on procedures in Pattaya with Dr Aree.

I had my work done by Dr Aree at the PIH Soi 4.

Appointments can be made with Dr Aree via email picpih@loxinfo.co.th or picpih@pih-inter.com, she will give you her personal email after your first visit. Since I was in town for a month I dropped into the PIH in January to make a booking for my first visit, and get advice on what work needed to be done. I was able to get an appointment with Dr Aree a few days after my initial visit.

As reported Dr Aree is a really lovely lady, sings whilst she is working and makes you feel totally at ease.

My first visit was just a check up, teeth clean and discussion on my options for veneers, fillings or crowns. I had an x-ray done which showed the condition of my teeth under the gum line and roots, from there Dr Aree can advise on what work can or cannot be done.

Dr Aree told me my dentist in Australia would be mad to try and do veneers on my teeth because of my bite, she said the veneers would not last and my dentist should have not recommended me to go with this procedure. She recommended I either have my teeth fixed with front fillings which is quite cheap compared to Australia or go with six crowns. I wanted a permanent fix so decided on the crowns.

I emailed Dr Aree before my next trip to Pattaya in April and set up an appointment to start the crown work. She advised me I would need a 4 hour booking firstly to prepare my teeth, make a temporary set of crowns and do impressions, followed up by a 2 hour booking to fit the new crowns. The first visit is where Dr Aree basically grinds back your teeth to make almost pegs for the new crowns to fit over. I was a bit nervous on how painful this would be and a 4 hour session in a dental chair didn't sound at all good. I certainly didn't need to worry, it was not painful at all, Dr Aree explained everything she was doing and the time actually seemed to fly along. I left my first visit with a set of temporary crowns which stayed on for 1 week whilst my new crowns were being made.

A week later on my next visit Dr Aree removed my temporary crowns and attached my new crowns. She explained that she has all her crowns made in Bangkok as the company who do them in Pattaya is slightly cheaper but isn't up to her standard. Having them made in Bangkok she fully guarantees them for 2 years. The fittitng was really easy, she didn't have to make any adjustments, basically just a matter of cementing them in.

I am certainly happy with Dr Aree's work, my new teeth have no sensitivity issues and I have a much better bite now.

The costs of my crown work are as follows.

Initial visit and x-ray 900 baht.

First crown work visit 30200 baht.

Second crown work visit 30200 baht.

The total of 61,300 baht worked out to be $1926 AUD on conversion via my Amex card. I was quoted $500 per tooth for fillings, $1100 per tooth for venners, and $1700 per tooth for crowns by my dentist here in Australia.

I am sure someone will post that I could have had my work done cheaper at another dentist or clinic, and I am sure that is true. I can only highly recommend Dr Aree and her quality of work.

Sounds a bit expensive for me to be honest. I'm a dentist in Germany and you could have gotten the same treatment for the same amount of money

eeeh, just read that its 6 crowns. For some reason thought it was three....For six the price is alright

Edited by timorno

Dental work is all about feeling comfortable with your dentist firstly and secondly cost. I believe that once you have found a good one it is difficult to change.

I completely agree with the above statement. The only reason I would consider seeing another dentist is if I was in pain and far from home.

That said, I will take a note of the name just incase I need treatment whilst in Pattaya.

I have resurrected this old thread because I am having a bit of a problem and I want some advice. Firstly I don't know who Dr Aree is or PIB or BHP. I also don't know where any of them are.

I started using Hollywood Dental on Soi Lengkhee in 2012 and it has been a fight ever since. I kind of caught the tigers tail and couldn't let go. I can't recommend this guy. Absolutely everything he has done has come loose, broken or had to come out to fix an underlying problem that should have been fixed in the first place.

The last debacle was similar to onelilly. I grind my teeth and have worn down the top and bottom ones at the front. Had the bottom ones crowned in Miami and the porcelain has slightly broken on them. The top was what I had addressed here. He hurriedly and half assed made up a bridge of 5 teeth. This lengthened them and supposedly strengthened them. They didn't fit, hurt badly cutting into my gums and fell out. He took a second stab at it and it was much better. They don't hurt and fit better. However they fell out and are so loose it is a joke. I have been using temporary cement bought at the dollar store to keep them in.

I have been here almost 2 weeks and now it is time to address the problem. I don't want to return to the guy at Hollywood.

I need a crown on a tooth at the bottom - pretty straightforward stuff and then somebody who is going to be super careful with redoing the top 5. If I can't find somebody who is striking me as reliable I will get it done in the states and suffer the money loss.

Looked at the place dentist @ the beach on level 4 in Central. Seemed to me that they just wanted extra money because they are located in an expensive mall. Pass.

I am now looking at the Smile clinic in Jomtien on Soi Welcome.

Can anybody give me some advice please?

Edited by Izi

I can't remember the exact date I had my crown put in at BPH but I believe it was around 2008. I have still got the original crown and never had any problems with it. It has remained solidly in place and I have had my teeth polished, cleaned, checked every 6 months since that day. I for one would go back there. Now, can't remember the guys name but it was his specialty, I was really pleased then and I am still really pleased now.

PIH is Pattaya International Hospital on Soi 4 between 2nd road and Beach road; easily accessible via baht bus.

I had a crown done in Oct but there wasn't a Dr Aree when I walked in, it was an older guy who didn't sing but so far I am satisfied with his work. Thepthai Loichllen is the name on the appt slip. I have poor teeth and one of the large ones in back broke as I was eating Phad Thai Gung. Needed a fix the next day, he was available. cost was 25,000 baht.

I CLENCH my teeth when I sleep, so for 2000 baht got a night guard that takes some pressure off. I had this made at 'Dental Art Clinic' direct across from Wok & Roc on Soi Baukhau. I'd suppose you can wear the night guard while driving or sleeping. Not while eating or drinking or kissing. The Dental Art Clinic may be the same guy from Soi Lenghee but it is a woman that is there this last year and the year before but it may be a husband/wife team so YMMV. Next year I'll have PIH make my night guard for me.

lots of cheaper prices in Thailand, but you get what you pay for. Great is hard to find. All the crowns I had done in 2008 are now being replaced, but I went for good...not great.....

PIH is Pattaya International Hospital on Soi 4 between 2nd road and Beach road; easily accessible via baht bus.

I had a crown done in Oct but there wasn't a Dr Aree when I walked in, it was an older guy who didn't sing but so far I am satisfied with his work. Thepthai Loichllen is the name on the appt slip. I have poor teeth and one of the large ones in back broke as I was eating Phad Thai Gung. Needed a fix the next day, he was available. cost was 25,000 baht.

I CLENCH my teeth when I sleep, so for 2000 baht got a night guard that takes some pressure off. I had this made at 'Dental Art Clinic' direct across from Wok & Roc on Soi Baukhau. I'd suppose you can wear the night guard while driving or sleeping. Not while eating or drinking or kissing. The Dental Art Clinic may be the same guy from Soi Lenghee but it is a woman that is there this last year and the year before but it may be a husband/wife team so YMMV. Next year I'll have PIH make my night guard for me.

25k for a crown? You were done!!!

I have opted for a guy on soi 5 right by immigration on soi 5 in Jomtien. VERY young fellah but I am going to give it a shot. He understands my caution and the farce with Hollywood Dental. Well he could see!

What we are doing is this.

The single crown in the bottom is going to be fine for a conventional crown for 6,000 baht. Very straightforward and don't expect any complications. $200 in American money.

The block of 5 in the top are another story.

This guy must have read my mind. I think he was actually listening to me - refreshing.

Instead of 5 teeth on a single bridge it will be 5 individual crowns crafted in one by one and allow the natural movement of the gums etc take it's course. This allows for cleaning and by using the new zirconia material should increase strength by many times a porcelain over alloy muck.

This is the same cubic zirconia material used for jewelry. Super hard and white all the way through. It can be carved to fit precisely.

More expensive though 12,000 for each tooth - $400. Still a huge bargain by American standards. A simple cheapo crown is going to rush you minimum $600 downhill with the wind behind you in the states. Plus all the usual nickel and diming to get that tab up.

Another advantage of the 5 individual crowns is that if there is a problem with one it can be addressed without disturbing the rest.

All this and I never studied dentistry!!

I hate it when they talk to you like you are a moron.

Basic mechanics and the understanding of stress and its being shared by surrounding teeth is hardly unique to the dentist.

Edited by Izi

Funniest thread I have read this week

100 baht is enough for a crown imo lol

Sorry why is it funny and where the bloody hell have you been getting 100 baht crowns done? Do share.

I have a crown,it came of when eating in thailand .all good again for 1000 baht.the initial crown cost a lot of money here in the UK.ive been using the same dentist for years in pattaya just for check ups ,and the odd bit of treatment.the dentists in pattaya are very good value

My wife needs to get two crowns put in in November. Time is a bit tight for us on this trip so can anyone give a rough estimate on how long the procedure will take.

because mine came off and the dentist restuck it,they recommended a new one with a longer stem.the timescale was about 1 week.

My wife needs to get two crowns put in in November. Time is a bit tight for us on this trip so can anyone give a rough estimate on how long the procedure will take.

As per Matt, about 1 week. Mould, temporary crown and new crown fixed in.

Sorry why is it funny and where the bloody hell have you been getting 100 baht crowns done? Do share.

you'd have to see his teeth to understand

It's funny because I remember me saying in here that you have to pay at least 7k a crown and you arguing that I was overcharged.

Put it like this. I am going on the 21st and the 23rd - done! That is for the simple crown in the bottom. I will post how this goes.

I think the 5 special jobs in the top will be a bit longer but I am assured that he can do it all by the end of feb no problem. As I say I will keep everyone abreast (he said breast) of what happens. Nothing like shared information.

As for you Rob. That was a while ago. Things have changed. This zirconia stuff is new to me. All over Pattaya now for the same price 12k a pop. When you were talking 7k it was only 6 everywhere else.

you'd have to see his teeth to understand

True

But I didn't her mine second hand from Collingbourne auctions. Nice teeth you have Tommy, but nicer still where rheybshould be, on a donkey

True

But I didn't her mine second hand from Collingbourne auctions. Nice teeth you have Tommy, but nicer still where rheybshould be, on a donkey

Tommy has got that Howard Stern look going on too. So donkey teeth and Jewish NY shock jock hair.

Play on.

As for you Rob. That was a while ago. Things have changed. This zirconia stuff is new to me. All over Pattaya now for the same price 12k a pop. When you were talking 7k it was only 6 everywhere else.

No they weren't

You bought a cheap product and i said that at the time, and you knew best.

And they are not all 12k now either, it depends, I'd love to know where you get your info, but anyway, you need to be talking about realignment with your dentist, no point in having new crowns without other work done

Things have changed lol - thanks for the heads up

Anyway, good luck it's not nice having problems with teeth.

Tommy has got that Howard Stern look going on too. So donkey teeth and Jewish NY shock jock hair.

Play on.

The face for radio for sure.