Latest News
  • *** word of the day LOYALTY *** POODLE is a word we must not forget *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Evil Penevil

What A Steak Dinner Should Look Like

Right off the bat- this isn't about a restaurant in Pattaya, so if you only want to read about local steak houses, you can save yourself a few minutes of unnecessary reading.

Where to go for the best steak dinner is a near and dear topic for many people, myself included. Because references and comparisons have been made to U.S. steak houses, I though to start a topic about what a steak dinner should be. Here's a pic from a traditional dinner at Peter Luger Steak House in NYC, one of the most famous and widely imitated restaurants in the country. It began operation in 1887 as "Carl Luger's Café, Billiards and Bowling Alley" and for the past 30 years has been rated as the #1 steak house in NYC by Zagat. Note: These are NOT my pics; I downloaded them from a Web site, but I can't remember which one.

post-276-0-57680800-1429764583_thumb.jpg

USDA prime Porterhouse steak; tomato and onion salad; thick-cut slab bacon;creamed spinach; steak fries and bread. The freshly baked bread is fantastic.

post-276-0-28862400-1429764601_thumb.jpg

post-276-0-70732800-1429764555_thumb.jpg

The deep-fried potato variation at Luger's is a far cry from McDonald's or crinkle-cut fries. The steak fries are thicker and closer to British chips than what we usually associate with U.S.-style fries.

Peter Luger serves the best bacon I've ever tasted.

post-276-0-76177900-1429764543_thumb.jpg

post-276-0-60715400-1429764609_thumb.jpg

And the star of show, a Porterhouse "double," big enough to feed two people:

post-276-0-34630600-1429764568_thumb.jpg

A steak like this costs US $72, or 2,340 baht. A steak for one person would run about $40 (1,300 baht). With sides and no alcohol, a dinner for two will run $100 to $120. Depending on whether you order wine, it can get much more expensive.

[post-276-0-63233300-1429764623_thumb.jpg

The staff at Peter Luger does have a bit of a "soup Nazi" rep. You would probably be laughed at if you asked for gravy, wanted your steak well-done or put sauce on the steak rather than the bacon, vegetables or fries.

post-276-0-80594500-1429764533_thumb.jpg

If you still have room after such a huge meal, the hot-fudge sundae is another American classic.

Evil

steak looks great but the chips / French fries/ steak fries would either go uneaten or be sent back by me .

they look over cooked and almost burnt .

steak looks great but the chips / French fries/ steak fries would either go uneaten or be sent back by me .

They're probably twice cooked or possible thrice cooked chips to make then crunchy on the outside and fluffy inside. You can see from the fryer picture that the chips have been cooked at least once before going back into the fat.

here's what a lot of people dont get with a steak.

1. trim it, curt into the sides a few times if its a sirloin to avoid curling

2.. salt and pepper both sides

3.. pan/griddle must be smoking, oil smoking before cooking

4.. put in pan.. leave till sealed

5.. turn and do same

6.. turn and do same, turn down heat or move to a cooler area of the giddle

7.. wait for blood to appear , once it does, you are on medium

8.. turn again if u want WD

note, this steak flippin tons of times is totally wrong

a steak dinner in the UK was tradionally, the steak, grilled not raw tomato, grilled onion rings, grilled mushrooms, pinch of parsley/watercress. knob of butter on steak before serving. choice of spuds and veg/salad.

:)

All good advice. I love to cook my own steaks. I tenderise them by hitting each side in a criss cross action with a meat cleaver.

I marinade steak in a little oil, salt and black pepper. You can also use a dash of cooking wine and light soy sauce. The marinade and preperation is what makes a good steak.

Hot pan and cook about 2 minutes each side. I also add a little bit of butter at the end and drizzle it on at the end.

Cooking lesson complete. :fun:

I doubt very much they are overcooked and certainly not burned. They look fine to me, but any darkness is probably a function of the lighting.

They're probably twice cooked or possible thrice cooked chips to make then crunchy on the outside and fluffy inside. You can see from the fryer picture that the chips have been cooked at least once before going back into the fat.

Yup,that's what French frying has come to mean in the U.S.: once in the fat at a lower temperature to cook away the rawness, reduce water content and make them fluffy inside; the second time at a higher temperature to make them crisp on the outside. President Thomas Jefferson served "potatoes fried in the French manner" at a White House dinner in the early 1800s.

However, the real steak purists will almost always choose pan-fried potatoes or baked potato rather than steak fries

From the Peter Luger Web site:

post-276-0-59731700-1429782650_thumb.jpg

My dad, who was born in 1906 and raised on a ranch in Montana, said boiled or pan-fried potatoes were the side for steak out West, along with sweet corn in season. He said he never tasted French fries until he attended graduate school in NYC in the 1930s.

Evil

Never eaten a good steak in Pattaya - tried several, but as I am a good chef, prefer to BBQ my own cuts with friends

Best Supermarket at Dolphin Circle has an excellent little butchery - good blockman - prefer aged Sirloin and Ribeye

Placing steak in a pan is sacrilegious, except maybe a thick fillet, in butter, fired with cognac .. aka ol' carpetbagger

Excellent steak pix - but way too much food though - bacon slabs look scrumptious and fries [chips] are world-class

Passed thru Amarillo TX with my wingman Manning - toilet - lunched at Big Texan, saw 2 guys each eat 72oz of beef

Had baby back ribs and their local beer - OK, neither exceptional - more of a tourist trap - big-ass 72oz Texas steak

Finish it in under an hour and its free - will feed a tribe of Biafrans for a week

Great pix, Sir - thank you .....

post-27174-0-91075100-1430497296_thumb.j Big Texan - way overdone

Regards

Jack