Latest News
  • *** word of the day LOYALTY *** POODLE is a word we must not forget *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

thinkingallowed

Random Food From My Visit To Pattaya

Sunday lunch buffet at Dicey Reilly's

400 baht and to be honest the beef was quite tough and the stuffed pork roll thing was more stuffing than pork.

Roast potatoes were probably great when fresh but softened in their own steam under their serving dish. Yorkshires were pretty good but tasted like someone had slipped when adding the salt. I've definitely had better cauliflower cheese but not bad and the pumpkin was pretty good.

Great service as usual in there but not high marks on the Thinkingallowed meter. 6/10

Hilton Flair restaurant...

Wonderful starters of six oysters and a dish containing Japanese sea scallops and Atlantic Salmon in lemon and garlic which was fantastic.

Cocktails were top notch, Long Island Ice Tea and a Margarita, plus very pleasant glasses of Shiraz and Chardonnay.

Main courses of pork and quail eggs and Salmon curry baked in a young coconut were delicious.

Too full to try the deserts but a solid 9/10.

To be continued...

Hilton Flair restaurant...

Wonderful starters of six oysters and a dish containing Japanese sea scallops and Atlantic Salmon in lemon and garlic which was fantastic.

Cocktails were top notch, Long Island Ice Tea and a Margarita, plus very pleasant glasses of Shiraz and Chardonnay.

Main courses of pork and quail eggs and Salmon curry baked in a young coconut were delicious.

Too full to try the deserts but a solid 9/10.

To be continued...

I tried that 6 oyster starter on Valentine's night when out with the current Mrs Jones and only 4 of the bstards worked......

Look forward to the continuation

Promoted by another BM I gave Steak & Co another visit.

They really do sell top quality meat but...

Ordered the smoked duck for a starter. No hab, maybe we hab, not sure, yes we hab. Nice pieces of smoked duck with jam. I'll eat my hat if the sauces served with it were not directly out of the preserve jar.

The steaks were obviously aged and top quality but again I'll eat my hat if the pipped potatoes served on the plate were not instant mash. Along side the steak were some dashes of colour, the orange one of which was a cumin based thing. To be honest it added nothing to the experience of the steak.

Not bad wedges but some undercooked.

The bread was was a huge improvement on my previous visit with pleasant butter.

Great meat but otherwise fairly disappointing.

Cheers for the report thinkingallowed.

Hilton sounds pretty good but can you pitch up with jeans and trainers or would I have to dig out the cravat. Not a fan of getting all dressed up to be honest and puts me off going.

Cheers.

Cheers for the report thinkingallowed.

Hilton sounds pretty good but can you pitch up with jeans and trainers or would I have to dig out the cravat. Not a fan of getting all dressed up to be honest and puts me off going.

Cheers.

No real dress code mate.

Promoted by another BM I gave Steak & Co another visit.

They really do sell top quality meat but...

Ordered the smoked duck for a starter. No hab, maybe we hab, not sure, yes we hab. Nice pieces of smoked duck with jam. I'll eat my hat if the sauces served with it were not directly out of the preserve jar.

The steaks were obviously aged and top quality but again I'll eat my hat if the pipped potatoes served on the plate were not instant mash. Along side the steak were some dashes of colour, the orange one of which was a cumin based thing. To be honest it added nothing to the experience of the steak.

Not bad wedges but some undercooked.

The bread was was a huge improvement on my previous visit with pleasant butter.

Great meat but otherwise fairly disappointing.

As far as I know Gerry the Scottish chef isn't in Pattaya at the moment. He has to stand over them and watch. You had the Thai way version. Gerry is an excellent chef when he's there.

As far as I know Gerry the Scottish chef isn't in Pattaya at the moment...etc.

Funny this would have been my guess based on this review, that Gerry hasn't been watching over the food prep. He'll be in for a bit of a surprise on his return.

Funny this would have been my guess based on this review, that Gerry hasn't been watching over the food prep. He'll be in for a bit of a surprise on his return.

Not really Ray. He says they have to be watched all the time. Does that come as any surprise to you. These people are just not interested in cooking anything that hasn't bugs and chillies in it.

Not really Ray. He says they have to be watched all the time. Does that come as any surprise to you...etc.

Well, I remember when he turned up in W&R talking all sorts of bollocks that he was going to train the Thais right up then he'd be free to spend more time socializing and hanging around town. Was going to put all those instructions on the wall with pictures, what could possibly go wrong? LOL!

I don't think he would have left if he thought things would go this far pear-shaped so quickly mate. That's why I think he'll be surprised when he gets back.

Well, I remember when he turned up in W&R talking all sorts of bollocks that he was going to train the Thais right up then he'd be free to spend more time socializing and hanging around town. Was going to put all those instructions on the wall with pictures, what could possibly go wrong? LOL!

I don't think he would have left if he thought things would go this far pear-shaped so quickly mate. That's why I think he'll be surprised when he gets back.

But they will NEVER listen to a farang Ray. They think they know best and take short cuts. They just don't care. As soon as the zookeeper leaves the well behaved chimps tea party, the result is inevitable...A huge feckin mess. Guaranteed EVERY TIME.

But they will NEVER listen to a farang Ray. They think they know best and take short cuts...etc.

In case this hasn't become clear to you yet, I'm agreeing with you. It's Gerry that's going to get a reality check, I could have told him what was coming.

But they will NEVER listen to a farang Ray. They think they know best and take short cuts. They just don't care. As soon as the zookeeper leaves the well behaved chimps tea party, the result is inevitable...A huge feckin mess. Guaranteed EVERY TIME.

Yeah, I get that at work all the time too, but I have learned to adjust my expectations, and somehow we muddle through and achieve the required results, it's the old 'knowing when to step in and when to step out' management thing, responsible delegation and not micro-managing, albeit I am not in the food and beverage industry so I can smooth over any small hiccups.

In case this hasn't become clear to you yet, I'm agreeing with you. It's Gerry that's going to get a reality check, I could have told him what was coming.

I think He knows fine well. Lol.. as far as I know He was cooking at The Henley Regatta boat show.

Yeah, I get that at work all the time too, but I have learned to adjust my expectations, and somehow we muddle through and achieve the required results, it's the old 'knowing when to step in and when to step out' management thing, responsible delegation and not micro-managing, albeit I am not in the food and beverage industry so I can smooth over any small hiccups.

I've yet to see them doing ANYTHING right. The rennovation job we had done, well all the bricks fell off the bar. They never used a pva bond to prime the backing plywood.

The new lighting flickers on and off because of bad connections and overloading the supply.

The new 50,000 Baht oven we got is ruined. They scrubbed all the heat setting off the facia and buttons.

Everything they touch they ruin. All our measuring jugs they put straight into boiling water and they all cracked. The quality non stick pans are ruined because they used steel wool to scrub them.

EVERYTHING they feckin touch, they ruin.

...The quality non stick pans are ruined because they used steel wool to scrub them...etc.

Only buy nonstick pans in this country if you want to eat that black nonstick coating. Never seen a single one of them stick to plastic utensils with the nonstick pans.

I've yet to see them doing ANYTHING right. The rennovation job we had done, well all the bricks fell off the bar. They never used a pva bond to prime the backing plywood.

The new lighting flickers on and off because of bad connections and overloading the supply.

The new 50,000 Baht oven we got is ruined. They scrubbed all the heat setting off the facia and buttons.

Everything they touch they ruin. All our measuring jugs they put straight into boiling water and they all cracked. The quality non stick pans are ruined because they used steel wool to scrub them.

EVERYTHING they feckin touch, they ruin.

Sounds like my house too, sorry for your troubles, perhaps heavy cast iron pans would at least solve one problem? Again, another American business management cliche, 'no problems, only solutions'?

Only buy nonstick pans in this country if you want to eat that black nonstick coating. Never seen a single one of them stick to plastic utensils with the nonstick pans.

The non stick pans are from the USA. About 1400 Baht a piece. Ruined.

True, as much as I have shown the wife to use only wooden utensils with the non-stick pans, she can't resist the metal ones when cooking, luckily for me, her cooking for me is a rarity.

Sounds like my house too, sorry for your troubles, perhaps heavy cast iron pans would at least solve one problem? Again, another American business management cliche, 'no problems, only solutions'?

We just use woks imported from China now to cook everything. They can scrub them all they want because Ouy seasons the woks using oil and a high heat. That makes them non stick.

We just use woks imported from China now to cook everything. They can scrub them all they want because Ouy seasons the woks using oil and a high heat. That makes them non stick.

Good move, you see, it's all a learning curve to find the 'solution' that fits the 'problem', I guess they are cast iron too, that's how I seasoned my heavy pan.

post-53271-0-03812800-1436428388_thumb.j

Good move, you see, it's all a learning curve to find the 'solution' that fits the 'problem', I guess they are cast iron too, that's how I seasoned my heavy pan.

attachicon.gifIMG_0867 (Medium).JPG

They will be, yes. They season very easily. I have a non stick pan for my personal use in my room. I do my own dishes I wouldn't let any of them near it.

. You had the Thai way version. Gerry is an excellent chef when he's there.

Agreed

I always enjoyed my meals there.

Well presented and good quality.

Agreed

I always enjoyed my meals there.

Well presented and good quality.

Yes, He knows what Hes doing.

NOTHING is as it should be here. We bought this cheap measuring jug yesterday at the market. Wash it once and the measurements wash off.

And look at the 300ml of water on the line to the left. Then look at the 300ml line to the right. I rest my case.

post-20348-0-30852000-1436438952_thumb.j

As far as I know Gerry the Scottish chef isn't in Pattaya at the moment. He has to stand over them and watch. You had the Thai way version. Gerry is an excellent chef when he's there.

He was there the first time I visited the restaurant and was served dried up French bread something that went on for months as seen on Steak & Co's long thread on Addicts. On that occasion the potato gratin was woefully undercooked, two steaks ordered rare arrived one blue the other medium rare. The instant mashed potato thing, potatogate, was also discussed on Addicts where finally the owner admitted they were using it, said it had been a mistake and they would stop. I don't see any of these things being down to Thais. When Gerry isn't there they still have a western manager, Yuri, to oversee the place. I can't imagine Thais going out to buy instant mash and jam.

Nags Head on Second Rd.

Massively hungover I was dragged in here for a feed by a great mate of mine who'd knocked on my apartment door with a bag full of beer that morning.

Steak and chips for breakfast. Frozen chips as one would expect and vegetables were pretty good with a bit of effort gone into the presentation. I chose the best of the locally reared meat choices and it wasn't bad to be honest. Somewhere around 400 baht.