Latest News
  • *** rockhouses 13 th year anniversary party monday 12 th of november *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** rockhouses 13 th year anniversary party monday 12 th of november *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Evil Penevil

Under 300 Baht ... And Good!

On 10/18/2018 at 5:25 AM, Parky said:

79 ¬†baht ?? ¬†Hi So honey ūüćĮ trampers¬†

The Chunky Monkey has raised the price of the "Monkey Madness" items to 89 baht.  I wonder if that will make a difference.

Evil

I went to Harry's on Soi Diana to see if the 99-baht hamburger with fries was still on offer and to have another of Harry's Swedish dishes.  The hamburger special was available, but a waitress urged me to try the 150-baht pizza special.

Untitled-1.jpg

I was surprised because I didn't recall Harry's having pizza on the menu.  But then I noticed the pizza didn't come from Harry's but from Pizeria in the ZIP Lounge and Apartments across the street.

IMG_0071.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

I abandoned my plans for pyttipanna or biff à la Rydberg and went with the pizza.  I ordered what was called capriccosa (sic) on the card. It lacked two of the toppings that go on a classic pizza capricciosa, but I don't imagine you can put artichoke hearts and anchovies on a 150-baht pizza in Thailand and still make money.  The tomato sauce, cheese, mushrooms and ham were fine by me, though.  I'm not a fan of artichoke hearts on pizza and wouldn't have ordered it if it had been a classic capricciosa.

It was amusing to see the waitress, in the era of cell phones and the Internet, go to the top step of Harry's and yell "pizza!" across the street.  I don't know what sort of arrangement Harry's has with Pizeria, but there's a Swedish angle.  I lived in Stockholm a number of years while married to a Swedish woman and still remember some of variations available in pizzerias there.  One of Pizeria's offerings was called "Svenne's special" and it was topped with pork tenderloin and Bearnaise sauce,  definitely a Swedish touch.  "Kebabpizza" is also a Swedish invention.  It's not on the same level as durian pizza- yes, you can get that in Pattaya- but bizarre enough to have Raffaele Esposito spinning in his grave. 

I got more evidence of a Swedish connection when my pseudo-capricciosa arrived.

IMG_0067.jpg

It was accompanied by a small bowl of what's called pizza salad in Sweden. It was introduced by the Italian  chef and restaurateur who opened Sweden's first pizzeria in 1969. He apparently based it on a Croatian cabbage salad.  Chopped cabbage is marinated in vinegar and seasoned with oregano and sometimes caraway.  It usually contains bits of red pepper and carrot as well. Unfortunately, the bowl of salad I got was inedible: way too much vinegar and what tasted more like cumin than caraway.  It resembled pizza salad, but tasted nothing like I remembered it in Stockholm.

The pizza itself was good; not great in my estimation, but good enough for 150 baht.  

IMG_0065.jpg

It was a bit sparse with cheese, but had plenty of mushrooms and ham.  The sauce was OK.  The thin crust was good with just the right bottom char and still soft inside.

IMG_0068.jpg

Bottom line:  I don't regard pizza as a dinner dish and almost never have it as such.  I consider it a party food or snack, especially  a late-night snack when out drinking.  The pizza I had at Harry's would be fine along those lines.  I have to rate it as good, with the horrible side salad an irrelevancy.

EvilÔĽŅÔĽŅ¬†

1615337950_IMG_01341.jpg.4400d6ef08a5ae88a3625ec4f52b8a49.jpg

The Hideaway Guest House and Bar on Soi 15 between The Avenue and Soi Buakhao has recently added a Rib Shack.

IMG_0133.jpg.b2509a5b756e6b868209afe1cff602c4.jpg

A sign at the front of the Hideaway says the hours are 6 p.m. to midnight, but a post by the owner elsewhere on says the dinner menu is available from 5 p.m. to midnight.  The Hideaway also serves breakfast and has snacks like onion rings and chicken nuggets available at other hours.

IMG_0124.jpg.70de32ebae6568dd63d735a6abb2bc82.jpg

As the name indicates,  grilled spare ribs are the focal point of  its menu, which features a limited number of dishes.  That's an admirable approach I wish more Pattaya restaurants would follow.  It's far better to concentrate on a  few dishes consistently done well than a long list of mediocre offerings.  

It's a grill menu with a U.K. rather than U.S. touch, as you won't find Cumberland sausage at many BBQ places in Memphis or Kansas City.

IMG_0121.jpg.2ddb10993373b71d59e7b3ff021b0889.jpg

I wasn't in the mood for spare ribs the night I ate at the Hideaway and had the grilled chicken breast for 175 baht instead.  It came with a choice of French fries or rice and I took rice.

IMG_0127.jpg.736aaed8043de2ede0c83af020d3169e.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg.d6e896620b5b068d4bba51f9ed30aad3.jpg

The chicken breast was moist, tender and had a good charcoal taste.  It wasn't overwhelmed by the BBQ sauce.  The small portion of salad consisted of fresh and crispy ingredients.  I'm not a fan of raw onion on salad, so I pushed it aside. The condiment basket included a bottle of Heinz salad cream and I used it with an extra splash of malt vinegar rather than the thousand island dressing on the plate.

IMG_0129.jpg.2b83c8650a203d0b5e017d0e55eed8fc.jpg

The Hideaway is a clean and comfortable place to have a meal, a snack or a drink.  Customers can play pool for free and there's a big-screen TV for sports. 

IMG_0131.jpg.ff487a0a4409ec2a8ef604ef12752aa7.jpg

The service is very friendly.  I had never been to the Hideaway before and the owner greeted me warmly,  then came back and asked if everything was OK once my meal arrived. Two of the waitressed also asked me the same question. That sort of interaction with the customer is sadly lacking in many Pattaya restaurants.

Bottom line:  I'll be back to try the ribs and the Thai daily special.  

Evil

• Thumbs up 1

2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

1615337950_IMG_01341.jpg.4400d6ef08a5ae88a3625ec4f52b8a49.jpg

The Hideaway Guest House and Bar on Soi 15 between The Avenue and Soi Buakhao has recently added a Rib Shack.

IMG_0133.jpg.b2509a5b756e6b868209afe1cff602c4.jpg

A sign at the front of the Hideaway says the hours are 6 p.m. to midnight, but a post by the owner elsewhere on says the dinner menu is available from 5 p.m. to midnight.  The Hideaway also serves breakfast and has snacks like onion rings and chicken nuggets available at other hours.

IMG_0124.jpg.70de32ebae6568dd63d735a6abb2bc82.jpg

As the name indicates,  grilled spare ribs are the focal point of  its menu, which features a limited number of dishes.  That's an admirable approach I wish more Pattaya restaurants would follow.  It's far better to concentrate on a  few dishes consistently done well than a long list of mediocre offerings.  

It's a grill menu with a U.K. rather than U.S. touch, as you won't find Cumberland sausage at many BBQ places in Memphis or Kansas City.

IMG_0121.jpg.2ddb10993373b71d59e7b3ff021b0889.jpg

I wasn't in the mood for spare ribs the night I ate at the Hideaway and had the grilled chicken breast for 175 baht instead.  It came with a choice of French fries or rice and I took rice.

IMG_0127.jpg.736aaed8043de2ede0c83af020d3169e.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg.d6e896620b5b068d4bba51f9ed30aad3.jpg

The chicken breast was moist, tender and had a good charcoal taste.  It wasn't overwhelmed by the BBQ sauce.  The small portion of salad consisted of fresh and crispy ingredients.  I'm not a fan of raw onion on salad, so I pushed it aside. The condiment basket included a bottle of Heinz salad cream and I used it with an extra splash of malt vinegar rather than the thousand island dressing on the plate.

IMG_0129.jpg.2b83c8650a203d0b5e017d0e55eed8fc.jpg

The Hideaway is a clean and comfortable place to have a meal, a snack or a drink.  Customers can play pool for free and there's a big-screen TV for sports. 

IMG_0131.jpg.ff487a0a4409ec2a8ef604ef12752aa7.jpg

The service is very friendly.  I had never been to the Hideaway before and the owner greeted me warmly,  then came back and asked if everything was OK once my meal arrived. Two of the waitressed also asked me the same question. That sort of interaction with the customer is sadly lacking in many Pattaya restaurants.

Bottom line:  I'll be back to try the ribs and the Thai daily special.  

Evil

Never been there , Kev In Thailand has meets there .. that chicken breast looked pretty good ... as an aside I saw a deal in Robin Hood this week..

149 for a Chicken Parmigan is it ? Or maybe hunters chicken .,, anyway you get a free beer normal retail 249 this week only 149 .. sounds like it’s worth a chase up ...

Looked a big portion ...