Latest News
  • *** *** FIRTH is a word we must not forget , KEEP THE KIDS SAFE *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** KARMA IS A FUCKING BITCH ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Dirty_Sanchez

2 tier British Premier League being discussed again

Guest Dirty_Sanchez

League to discuss two-tier plan

A plan to increase the Premier League to two divisions including Celtic and Rangers is to be discussed by club chairmen on Thursday.

The two divisions would each contain 16 teams, freeing more weekends for international preparation and games.

And clubs who at the moment face a huge drop in income after relegation to the Championship would lose less money.

Bolton chairman Phil Gartside has put the scheme together and will present it to his Premier League counterparts.

In theory, the addition of the Old Firm should provide a stiffer test for Scotland's top two clubs and also generate more enthusiasm from broadcasters and fans.

That would make up some of the money each club would lose if the Premier League is expanded from 20 to 36 clubs.

At the moment, teams relegated to the Championship are given £11.5m a year for two years for lost television income if they drop out of the top flight and are not promoted back into it.

Gartside's plan, which will need the approval of 14 out of 20 Premier League chairmen, would offer more financial stability to teams in the lower half of the Premier League, who would then be able to plan for the future with greater certainty.

However, there are a substantial number of obstacles. Uefa, the European governing body, has consistently said that teams will not be allowed to play in leagues outside their own country.

In addition, both Glasgow giants would inevitably find it harder to qualify for the Champions League.

The Football Association, their Scottish counterparts and the Football League would all have to give their approval as well.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are likely to be against the plan as it would affect their income. Others such as Aston Villa, Tottenham and Everton, who may consider it unlikely they would ever drop out of a 20-team Premier League, may also have misgivings.

Mid-table clubs might also struggle to cope with a drop in television money as the cash is spread more widely.

A Premier League spokesman said: "We haven't seen any proposal and therefore are unable to comment."

http://news.bbc.co.UK/sport2/hi/football/e...rem/8006934.stm

Guest minime

It’s just another pie in the sky thought......

There is nothing wrong with the Premier League, so why play around with it?

Guest Dirty_Sanchez
It’s just another pie in the sky thought......

There is nothing wrong with the Premier League, so why play around with it?

Whilst i agree with you 100%

Fact is it is being discussed by the EPL club chairmen, which can only be for one reason....$$$$

Mulphy would be a happy bunny if it ever happened. I do not see the point in having a British Premier League, not like Celtic & Rangers are going to bring any higher standards to the game.

If there is to be any changes, I would rather see a more developed European Premier League which replaced the current Champions League & was decided by a play-offs format (along the same lines as the NFL operates) but, frankly just leaving the EPL & CL in their current formats is the best idea of all :wacko:

Guest Dirty_Sanchez
never gonna happen...........

never say never but, i for one hope that it doesnt go ahead...it will be another decision made about $$$ not football :whistling:

Guest .Q.

Both Rangers and Celtics problem is our league. "IF" we got into a 2 tier prem then after a few years both of us would be at the top challenging because we WOULD both get huge investors take control of our clubs pumping money into us so that we can buy in big names.

I would be up for this but i can't see it happening......

Guest .Q.
jesus....can you just imagine the football hooliganism if it happened.

It wouldn't be any different from the way it is now in England. :whistling:

Both Rangers and Celtics problem is our league. "IF" we got into a 2 tier prem then after a few years both of us would be at the top challenging because we WOULD both get huge investors take control of our clubs pumping money into us so that we can buy in big names.

I would be up for this but i can't see it happening......

i see your point and of course i agree that i dont see it happening, not even in the next 10 years

Guest Som

It's good that they are at least talking about it again but until there could be more winners in this type of setup i.e Rangers and Celtic, than losers, everyone else, no vote is going this way just yet. There are just too many different groups of clubs with opposing interests and other bad aspects to let it fly. All that will happen is confirm the same obstacles as last time they discussed it until they do it again next time. If world peace was at stake even Dr. Kissinger would struggle with this one.

Good idea.

It would generate more interest in Scotland.

It wouldn't take long for Celtic and Rangers to be at the top as all their games ,both home and away,would be packed,sponsorship would increase....

Personally I think there's a wee bit of sour grapes as far as the English are concerned,there would be a lot more passion in the game which it is sorely lacking.

Guest Dirty_Sanchez
Good idea.

It would generate more interest in Scotland.

It wouldn't take long for Celtic and Rangers to be at the top as all their games ,both home and away,would be packed,sponsorship would increase....

Personally I think there's a wee bit of sour grapes as far as the English are concerned,there would be a lot more passion in the game which it is sorely lacking.

I would rather see a proper European Champions League, with the best of the best teams playing each other.

Rangers & Celtic would bring passion to the game but, that is not going to improve the quality of the football :thumbsup:

Guest .Q.
I would rather see a proper European Champions League, with the best of the best teams playing each other.

Rangers & Celtic would bring passion to the game but, that is not going to improve the quality of the football :thumbsup:

It would once we had the money to buy quality players which would take 3 seasons max

Guest .Q.

DS your idea of a proper Euro CL is good, but that will then mean that 90% of fans that normally travel to away games in England to support thier team will only be able to afford one away game a season.

You could argue that it will mean more fans there for more money for lower league teams as fans will then go and watch local teams. Teams in Cornwall will have an increase of 1000000% at the turnstiles after the away games price them out of Man U games.

Personaly i think that this kind of league will happen eventually. We need to get through this global financial crisis first as the big name sponsers are not going to splash the cash right now though, and it is them an TV that generate the money for the league to function properly.

Guest Dirty_Sanchez
It would once we had the money to buy quality players which would take 3 seasons max

No matter who Rangers & Celtic buy, it would still not be the same as the English top 2 playing in a league with the like of Barca, Real, Inter, AC Roma, Lyon, PSG, Bayern etc...

No matter who Rangers & Celtic buy, it would still not be the same as the English top 2 playing in a league with the like of Barca, Real, Inter, AC Roma, Lyon, PSG, Bayern etc...

I think it would.

Guest Dirty_Sanchez
DS your idea of a proper Euro CL is good, but that will then mean that 90% of fans that normally travel to away games in England to support thier team will only be able to afford one away game a season.

You could argue that it will mean more fans there for more money for lower league teams as fans will then go and watch local teams. Teams in Cornwall will have an increase of 1000000% at the turnstiles after the away games price them out of Man U games.

Personaly i think that this kind of league will happen eventually. We need to get through this global financial crisis first as the big name sponsers are not going to splash the cash right now though, and it is them an TV that generate the money for the league to function properly.

I can see that as money drives the sport further, it could happen and would be along the lines of what happens in the NFL, there are very few away fans & the grounds are mostly sold out... ok this does destroy a lot of the banter between fans (not at Old Trafford cos its always asleep or singing about Cantona)

I can see that as money drives the sport further, it could happen and would be along the lines of what happens in the NFL, there are very few away fans & the grounds are mostly sold out... ok this does destroy a lot of the banter between fans (not at Old Trafford cos its always asleep or singing about Cantona)

Stamford bridge aswell as it's always empty.

Guest .Q.

It would be better............ :whistling:

Guest Dirty_Sanchez
Stamford bridge aswell as it's always empty.

Stick your prawn sandwiches up yer arse! twunt :whistling:

Guest valley

Celltic and Rangers have massive fan basis. if they were to enter a league like this, i am 100%

sure they would be in the mix after 3-5 seasons. not sure about Rangers , but i think if Celtic got

into this there would be alot of big money men wanting to turn their favourite clubs into title challengers.

Guest .Q.
Celltic and Rangers have massive fan basis. if they were to enter a league like this, i am 100%

sure they would be in the mix after 3-5 seasons. not sure about Rangers , but i think if Celtic got

into this there would be alot of big money men wanting to turn their favourite clubs into title challengers.

You can take it to the bank that Rangers would have a massive investor and before Celtic would too :thumbsup:

Guest Cider_Drinker

we don't want no sweaty sock teams in our premiership.