Latest News
  • *** word of the day LOYALTY *** POODLE is a word we must not forget *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** can you remember when TRUST was something and HONOUR was something *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Tongue

Price Of Condos

I don't know what condos you were looking at but in my condo you can get a 2 unit condo 90+ sqm for just over 3 million baht. Of course that was better value when i bought at 71 baht to the Pound but even now it's not so bad. Can you get a large condo anywhere else for 60,000 GBP. I guess we would all prefer a house for the same money but i am not willing to risk my home buying a house which is not mine.

Sunset Boulevard Condos off Soi 4 I think near the Nordic development. Looked at the fact sheet and 1 bedded apartment was 6.5m baht. We were looking for rent but they were selling only, not sure what rental value would be for that priced condo.

The condo lifestyle suits many but for me it is odd how I own (ok dark side) a 550 sqm land area with 283 sqm living space, detached 3 bed/2 bath house, solar heated water system with private pool 9 x 4m in quiet gated estate and probably would sell net for just over the price I saw the 1 bedded condo listed at. Just makes my mind boggle a bit.

I can understand that the condo market is more desirable to many but the inflation price rise (or asking price) has risen so much in the 9 years I have lived here. For me something will have to give.

I am interested to see if the housing market would take off if you could actually own the land/house in your name. Reading the Pattaya Times today I see that a letter from various foreign chamber of commerce and supported by Thai Visa/Teak Door etc was handed on 19th January to the office of the Prime Minister.

There were 7 points made which highlighted issues such as unlimited foreign ownership of condos, reductions in the amount of money required for the retirement visa extension (calculations were shown in the real purchasing power/value of the pound etc) and the ability for foreigners to own 1 house/land for personal use only. There were a few other points but the link below will highlight the letters content which I found to be of interest. Whether it does anything is another story.

I will also open a new thread as on it's own it is a useful piece of info.

Change of law request

Guest Mr Ploppy

Sunset Boulevard Condos off Soi 4 I think near the Nordic development. Looked at the fact sheet and 1 bedded apartment was 6.5m baht. We were looking for rent but they were selling only, not sure what rental value would be for that priced condo.

The condo lifestyle suits many but for me it is odd how I own (ok dark side) a 550 sqm land area with 283 sqm living space, detached 3 bed/2 bath house, solar heated water system with private pool 9 x 4m in quiet gated estate and probably would sell net for just over the price I saw the 1 bedded condo listed at. Just makes my mind boggle a bit.

I can understand that the condo market is more desirable to many but the inflation price rise (or asking price) has risen so much in the 9 years I have lived here. For me something will have to give.

I don't know about your personal situation but in post #23 one of my stipulations is that I can leave the property to my UK sons in a will. My Thai wife and children already have a large house, land and pick up in her name. So when you say "own" what happens to your investment when you die? This is something that is important to me and would love to know how other people with houses are dealing with it as I don't want the investment to 'dissapear"

Guest hanibal7

I don't know about your personal situation but in post #23 one of my stipulations is that I can leave the property to my UK sons in a will. My Thai wife and children already have a large house, land and pick up in her name. So when you say "own" what happens to your investment when you die? This is something that is important to me and would love to know how other people with houses are dealing with it as I don't want the investment to 'dissapear"

Simple, get a will for thailand and one for the rest.I have 2 wills,the one is for my son in the UK and offshore investments,the second is for gf here in thailand

Guest Mr Ploppy

Simple, get a will for thailand and one for the rest.I have 2 wills,the one is for my son in the UK and offshore investments,the second is for gf here in thailand

Same same...but my point was about a house he stated that he owned rather than a condo which I own and is already in my will. How are the people that "Own" a house in Thailand dealing with the investment after they die????

Because herein lies one of the main reasons for the house v condo pricing structure that The Tongue is questioning..

Same same...but my point was about a house he stated that he owned rather than a condo which I own and is already in my will. How are the people that "Own" a house in Thailand dealing with the investment after they die????

Because herein lies one of the main reasons for the house v condo pricing structure that The Tongue is questioning..

Totally understand but if I was still with my girlfriend when I am about to kick the bucket then it is likely that I will be more than happy to leave the house to her by putting it in her name. If I have any children with her or another Thai lady then I would treat it the same way as a UK wife, the lot would go to her and then pass on, I would expect that. I don't have any Falang children so my life is mostly attached to Thailand. Agreed though I don't have your dilemma and I can understand your concerns in provision for your children in UK.

The letter to the Prime Minister that I have started on another thread may make your options easier should farangs be given the right to own a house and therefore be able to 'will' it to who they like (I presume).

Guest Mr Ploppy
Agreed though I don't have your dilemma and I can understand your concerns in provision for your children in UK.

Hi Mate, I don't think I have a dilemma as I think I have everything sorted with the current laws...But the thing is that even though I have lived here 16 years and have been through the mill a few times I NEVER think that I know it all and if one post on one thread gives good advice that improves my lot in life then I am happy..I would much prefer another house in Pattaya and in my name rather than my two condos but untill I can have the deeds in my name it will never happen..

Regarding the letter: I replied "Tongue in cheek" to your thread for it is such a poorly written, poorly structured specimen of childish proportions. I would expect better from an o level student after visiting a bloody chicken farm rather than a serious attempt at addressing government policy directly to the Prime Minister.

EDIT = The letter not your thread..!!

Regarding the letter: I replied "Tongue in cheek" to your thread for it is such a poorly written, poorly structured specimen of childish proportions. I would expect better from an o level student after visiting a bloody chicken farm rather than a serious attempt at addressing government policy directly to the Prime Minister.

That's pretty much what I said when this came up on another forum a week or so ago. Fairly amateur sort of letter, ill-organised, rambling, with very average English language skills - extremely unlikely to have been penned by any sort of competent lawyer - and extremely unlikely to be read by anybody who matters in any case.

Guest Mr Ploppy

That's pretty much what I said when this came up on another forum a week or so ago. Fairly amateur sort of letter, ill-organised, rambling, with very average English language skills - extremely unlikely to have been penned by any sort of competent lawyer - and extremely unlikely to be read by anybody who matters in any case.

I haven't used TD or TV in my other guises for sometime so it was the first time I have seen it...Big thanks to The Tongue for reproducing it...

Those letters are a fart in an hurricane.

Why should the Thai government do anything? It is working for them right now, any change would be to their disadvantage.

Guest rabid beaver

For a condo, i would need at least 2500 sq feet. Otherwise i would not be relaxed.

EDIT = The letter not your thread..!!

Let's keep on topic. Dave is a stand up guy. Mr Ploppy I don't know you but would like to think you are the same.

Why do you keep saying this about the Chinese? Been hearing this for years it will never happen. They want nice beaches and infrastructure not a bunch of beer bars

So do the Russians....A large middle class in China has been created. The new generation will be curious about the outside world. Thailand is an obvious choice.

Guest Mr Ploppy

Let's keep on topic. Dave is a stand up guy. Mr Ploppy I don't know you but would like to think you are the same.

Hi. I think it is on topic. The price of condos is high because you can't buy bugger all else. Regarding Dave, I thought my paragraph prior to the one you quoted basically said that I appreciated his, indeed anybody's, input..I am sorry if you or anybody else thinks I am not straight.

For a condo, i would need at least 2500 sq feet. Otherwise i would not be relaxed.

I'd also want separate storage space and at least two parking spots for cars.

12m baht plus I'd guess

Guest chris2004

Except that you don't own it.

Except that you don't own it.

Well I wont argue the toss but nobody else owns it. I just keep the Thai taxman happy.

So the New Plaza Condo would be too small for you?

14o3ay0.jpg

Guest hanibal7

So the New Plaza Condo would be too small for you?

14o3ay0.jpg

Never seen them there Campo,are they short time rooms at 50 baht an hour hehehehehehehe

Guest gazza54

Never seen them there Campo,are they short time rooms at 50 baht an hour hehehehehehehe

maybe a business opportunity there john :thumbsup:

Guest hanibal7

maybe a business opportunity there john :thumbsup:

Do the offshore lads knopw where to get them concrete pipes from :gathering::gathering:

I was thinking of putting them up right,saves space mate

This real estate agent has average sqm prices for condos, houses and land on the main page.

According to these numbers almost all prices are at least at a 1 year low.

No idea if these are prices of properties offered or sold.

http://www.bluevisionagency.com/