Latest News
  • *** word of the day FRIENDSHIP .LOYALTY has expired*** POODLE has expired. *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril *** INTEGRITY was word of the day. even though we spelt it wrong . *** caution , this forum contains opinions , humour , sarcasm and irony , procede at your peril ***

Welcome to Pattaya Live

Welcome to Pattaya Live, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pattaya Live by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
The Tongue

Giving Blood, Who Can And Who Can't

Started this topic afresh as I didn't think it appropriate to post in Arty's request for urgent blood. I am also posting as I have had Hepatitis A and believed that I couldn't give blood. I am A-ve and I am aware that most Thais are in the O group and I carry a card (to show hospitals) as A-ve is not common. (I got the card in UK). If we go by the letter of the document on the link many here should not be offering blood. The one about not giving blood if having had sex with a prostitute doesn't differentiate whether wearing a condom or not. Interesting. These are UK NHS guidelines but other countries may differ.

http://www.nhs.UK/Conditions/Blood-donation/Pages/Who-can-use-it.aspx

Thanks for showing respect for the thread about Daves Father.

I've booked an appointment in the UK for Monday of next week to donate here. It's been over10 years since I donated.

Guest Mr Pastry

Started this topic afresh as I didn't think it appropriate to post in Arty's request for urgent blood. I am also posting as I have had Hepatitis A and believed that I couldn't give blood. I am A-ve and I am aware that most Thais are in the O group and I carry a card (to show hospitals) as A-ve is not common. (I got the card in UK). If we go by the letter of the document on the link many here should not be offering blood. The one about not giving blood if having had sex with a prostitute doesn't differentiate whether wearing a condom or not. Interesting. These are UK NHS guidelines but other countries may differ.

That is interesting, especially where it says "You should never donate blood if: you have ever had HIV, which I found a little confusing, because I did not think there was a cure, maybe it is just the wording

I have wondered for some time whether I could still give blood, because I am permanently on Warfarin, which thins the blood and acts as an anticoagulant to stop clotting. However, unless I missed something, it is not a restriction or maybe it lies within some of the other restrictions listed.

When was in my 40s I used to give blood maybe 3 times a year but then there was the Aids panic and I assumed that everyone was tested before giving blood and I did not want to go through all of that. Maybe I will start donating again, because I have to make a compulsory trip to the hospital every 2 months for an INR finger tip blood test. If I am going anyway, then it might be an idea, and hope that they still give you a cup of tea and a biscuit after.

That is interesting, especially where it says "You should never donate blood if: you have ever had HIV, which I found a little confusing, because I did not think there was a cure, maybe it is just the wording...etc.

Proper treatment can cause the AIDS virus to drop below detectable levels. I suppose this makes it possible for people who are HIV+ to test negative.

I have never given blood, but would under the right circumstances, such as in the case of Artygraph's thread or other emergency.

Thanks for showing respect for the thread about Daves Father.

I've booked an appointment in the UK for Monday of next week to donate here. It's been over10 years since I donated.

No problems mate. I just wanted to check if I could give blood as I have had Hep A 16 years ago, I always thought I couldn't but from the link it appears that I can. The info also highlights some pretty definitive exclusions. I am always happy to give blood and should the need arise again for any reason or emergency where I can help I will be more than happy to offer my A-ve.

Guest Mr Pastry

Proper treatment can cause the AIDS virus to drop below detectable levels. I suppose this makes it possible for people who are HIV+ to test negative.

I have never given blood, but would under the right circumstances, such as in the case of Artygraph's thread or other emergency.

I think it is important especially if one has a more rare blood group, and supplies maybe limited .

No problems mate. I just wanted to check if I could give blood as I have had Hep A 16 years ago, I always thought I couldn't but from the link it appears that I can...etc.

They ask you questions before you give right? I suppose that would be the time to ask them about this.

I've had hep a and b and also on warfarin so that probably rules me out, shame really as I'm A neg.

They ask you questions before you give right? I suppose that would be the time to ask them about this.

I remember a few years back that there was a request via Pattaya Daily News or the Radio for urgent supplies of A-ve as it was in short supply in either Pattaya or Phuket for a very ill patient who required quite a lot of blood. I never gave because I was under the impression I couldn't. I will check at the Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin soon to get their take. There was always a thought that for rare groups would it be appropriate to have your own blood taken for your own use should the need arise. I suppose that would bring into question whether you could do that just for you and how long was the shelf life of blood.

Guest Mr Pastry

Interesting, do they still give tea and a biscuit after in the UK, what about Thailand.

As far as I am aware. But have no idea about Thailand ? Maybe in the Private hospitals you get a nourishing bowl of noodles afterwards

I've had hep a and b and also on warfarin so that probably rules me out, shame really as I'm A neg.

I will help you out Phil should the need arise, keep me on speed dial.

As far as I am aware. But have no idea about Thailand ? Maybe in the Private hospitals you get a nourishing bowl of noodles afterwards

Maybe I could get one of the female nurses to show more gratitude!

Guest Mr Pastry

Lol, that would be a major incentive for giving blood. The slogan. Give blood, get free head :fun: Even better if they do it whilst the transfusion s taking place

in ireland you cannot donate if,

you had anal sex with a man or woman even if you wore a condom

had sex with a prostitute protected or otherwise

lived in the UK for 1 year or more between 1980 and 1996 (mad cow disease)

had a tattoo or piercing in the previous 4 months

been in a tropical country in the past 6 months.

there are obviously more conditions than that but thiose are the most pertinent to anyone travelling to los

i fail on 3 of them so they wont take my blood anymore (i had donated 11 times before i discovered los though

I was thinking the same thing but didnt think appropriate to post on the previous thread

i was under the impression you couldnt donate blood if you had had sex with a prostitute in the previous 12 months

Guest Trapper

Interesting, do they still give tea and a biscuit after in the UK, what about Thailand.

no tea and bicci noi and i give blood since the deverstation of puket

not since I was diagnosed with diabetes

still on the organ donor list though I don`t think any of the major ones would be much use these days

Guest Arnold Ziffel

I think you're mixing up the sperm bank and the blood bank

Guest Arnold Ziffel

I'm a bit confused about this paragraph

As of November 2011, a man who has sex with men can donate blood provided they have not had anal or oral sex with a man during the past 12 months (even with a condom).

If you haven't had sex anally or orally with a bloke what other type of sex is there???

I wonder how many BMs actually know their blood group mines is O+ and it is written on my ID card my driving license and my Medical card.

Guest gazza54

I wonder how many BMs actually know their blood group mines is O+ and it is written on my ID card my driving license and my Medical card.

I do not have a clue what my blood group is :blushing:

Guest sa-teef

They screen for HIV and several other diseases. They also ask several other questions about medications and have you fill out a questionaire. So Steve doesn't have HIV or the clap....as of this morning anyway.......... :guitar:

I think it is important especially if one has a more rare blood group, and supplies maybe limited .

There is a 20 questions page about blood donors on the Thai Red cross page here. http://english.redcross.or.th/home

You can donate between the ages of 17-70 in Thailand.

The Thai Red Cross even has a "club" of sorts for those who have Rh Negative blood of any type, since it is rare in Thailand. They had brochures in English at Queen Sirikit Hospital today. Unfortunately the web page is in Thai.

http://www.rh-negative.com/

They had free fruit juice, water and assorted cookies and snacks in Sattahip today.

The blood bank is open weekdays from 9am to noon there, and they had the ten? spots full and the staff busy with donors waiting for a short time the whole time I was there.

Agree. Mine is a common type though.

Which surely doesn't stop you from sharing.

It's a good thing to do I think, regardless if someone you know is in need.

But obviously it is a personal choice.